Japanese Maple Air Layer

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
zebes
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 12

Japanese Maple Air Layer

Post by zebes »

Hi,

I wanted to know if it's normal for leaves to start turning red during an air layer. It's been 5 weeks so far, this discoloration doesn't seem to be occurring below the layer.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Japanese Maple Air Layer

Post by shibui »

It is not unusual for foliage above a layer to look a little sad. Fingers crossed that there's roots developing down there and it picks up again.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zebes
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zebes »

How long does it typically take before roots start to form with Japanese Maples?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

How long is a piece of string?

Rooting time depends on many factors: Health and vigor of the parent plant, Technique, Time of year, Temp, Water, Variety, Sun, etc.

As a wild guess I'd say up to 6 weeks to initiate roots. Up to 3 months (spring/summer) for enough roots to separate the layer but I've seen some JM layers ready in 8 weeks.

If the top tie can be removed reasonably easily you could take a look. It is probably better to leave layers closed until they root but exposing the site to air for a few minutes won't hurt and a quick check will alleviate some newbie curiosity.
New forming roots are very brittle so take care to move the sphagnum gently. Stop if/when you see white roots growing from the trunk and close up to allow them to keep growing.
Check the Alocasuarina Littoralis Layers thread by Jan to see that she has opened a layer to see how it is coming along. viewtopic.php?f=56&t=29550&p=292046#p292046
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Like Shibui says, there’s no specific time frame. As a general rule I’ve seen roots emerge on JM air layers as quickly as 6 weeks but to have enough to separate the layer from the tree has been from 3/4 months as long as 18 months from my attempts
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
zebes
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zebes »

Thanking you both for your feedback, hopefully I'll start seeing roots in the upcoming weeks.
AlainK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Larix
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Renouveau du Bonsai

Post by AlainK »

zebes wrote: December 8th, 2021, 7:57 pm How long does it typically take before roots start to form with Japanese Maples?
Like "shibui" said : between 6 weeks and 2-3 months.

I'm browsing this forum because it's winter here (France) and I was curious to see what some trees in summer llok like : in our hemisphere 8 December = 8 June here.

Today is January 29th, so that would be the equivalent of July 29th: roots should have formed by now. Since here maples drop their leaves (go dormant) at the end of October, I would sever the layer - provided it has some roots of course.

Any update from the antipodes ?... :wave:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Hi AlainK.
Great to see you down under - even if it just because you are bored in the middle of French winter.

Beware of making straight conversions in months from Northern hemisphere to Southern. There are many variables that a simple calendar change does not take into account - day length, growing season, summer heat, etc. I've learned to take cues form what the plants are actually doing rather than relying on calendar.

I do agree that most early layers should have good roots by now but as there are very few places in Aus that have really cold winters we don't have the same pressing need to get layers, cuttings, etc potted and settled before winter comes. I've separated layers right at the end of autumn and they've wintered well here even with some sub zero overnight temps through winter.
HarleyD
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by HarleyD »

Hello,

I also have an air layer in progress on one of my maples. the leaves above the layer did look a bit wilted for a while but now they've recovered now and I can see some decent roots growing through the moss ball.

I was wondering, how can you tell when your air layer is ready to be separated from the tree? This one's been going for about three months and I'm tempted to chop it now but I can only see one or two thick roots from the outside. They each look to be about 7-8cm long.

Thanks
:)
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

If in doubt leave it a bit longer.
A bag full of roots is plenty to be confident of success but I have had plenty survive with far less roots and suspect that most layers would survive with relatively few roots.
If worst comes to worst and you still have only a couple of roots by winter the layer can be removed because the trees need very few roots over winter and they will grow lots of new roots early in spring in time for the leaves to open.

Conversely take care with layers full of roots in summer. The new roots quickly suck the water out of the moss then die unless you keep supplying water for it. I've lost a few promising layers because I left them a bit too long in hot weather.
HarleyD
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by HarleyD »

Great info, thanks for the advice :)

Return to “Deciduous”