Slender literati Ulmus P. material

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Per PF
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Swedish Bonsai Association

Slender literati Ulmus P. material

Post by Per PF »

I aquired this Ulmus Parvifolia from a club member yesterday. Very excited about trying my hand on a sparse literati style! It stands at about 75 cm from rim to apex.
IMG_6437.jpeg
IMG_6439.jpeg
It's been in cool-storage but I'm bringing it inside for an early wake up call, spring is almost around the corner.
IMG_6435.jpeg
IMG_6433.jpeg
First order of business --> gotta' sort them roots...
IMG_6440.jpeg
Anyone has experience with Ulmus as literati feel free to chime in :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Slender literati Ulmus P. material

Post by shibui »

That certainly is a tall one however Ulmus are so good at budding from trunks and bare wood it does not have to stay as a tall, skinny tree if the literati idea doesn't work out.
I have one U.p as literati. It's a variety I call know as 'Catlin' which has a natural long, straight growth habit and the trunk initially looked good for literati.

I can't find any current photos but dredged up some older files for you
Catlin bunjin 2010 07 b.JPG
catlin 2.JPG
IMGP6223.JPG

I've thinned out the branches a couple of times but it needs to be done again as it is getting less and less literati.

Good luck with yours too
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Per PF
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Per PF »

Thanks a bunch Neil.
I've been inspired by this excellent book:
IMG_6472.jpeg
Literati Style Penjing - Chinese Bonsai Masterworks by Zhao Qingquan :reading:
So I'll make an honest effort to create a tall and slender penjing-literati style. Atm the plan is to rebuild and shorten the branches with clip and grow to create a contrast between the flowing line of the trunk and the angular branching.
IMG_6470.jpeg
To my big surprise I found buds this evening! It woke from dormancy in about 72 hours :o So I plan to repot tomorrow night (unless anyone thinks that's unwise?)
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

Regarding the roots ... I wonder if this species lends itself to air layering/pot layering (usually done towards end of spring/early summer)?

I've seen people use that technique to take control and grow new roots when they didn't like the old ones.

- Daniel

P.S Keen to see the prgoress on this!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

To my big surprise I found buds this evening! It woke from dormancy in about 72 hours :o So I plan to repot tomorrow night (unless anyone thinks that's unwise?)
Not really surprising. Chinese elms tend to be the first to show new buds down here. I often get the first green shoots soon after mid winter.
Chinese elm do not actually drop leaves in warmer areas. Tropical growers had to make a decision to repot Chinese elms when they still had leaves and found no problem. From there they have tried all times of year and still no problem so it seems that Chinese elm can be repotted and root pruned any time of year.
Down here where winter is cooler and they do drop leaves and go (barely) dormant I've found some react badly to repot or transplant earlier in winter where the roots sit in cold, wet soil for several months so I tend to leave the Chinese elms until later. When you can see buds swelling that means roots are also becoming active so that's a safe time to repot. I guess you will want to keep it protected after repot until it is warm enough outside.
Regarding the roots ... I wonder if this species lends itself to air layering/pot layering (usually done towards end of spring/early summer)?

I've seen people use that technique to take control and grow new roots when they didn't like the old ones.
Chinese elm layer well.
From cuttings or seed they seem to usually develop just a few, long, fat roots around the trunk. Early root pruning helps develop a better radial root system. Layering is another way to promote a better nebari.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Per PF
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Per PF »

Cheers for the interest guys. In regards to the optional dormancy: I should be able to give it a prolonged growing period if I let it rest for a couple of months in the fall/early winter and then grow it indoors until our proper summers here. Right now we're in early spring here.
IMG_6533.jpeg
Still a little ways away....

Repotted last night!
IMG_6493.jpeg
Prepared pot (Pot by Vic Harris from Erin Pottery in the UK)
IMG_6508.jpeg
IMG_6506.jpeg
The roots were worse than I thought (but in keeping with the species...) - basically one long curly thick going back on itself.. I pruned it pretty hard to fit it at the angle I wanted.
The thing I've struggled with the most so far has been the tiedowns. I know the theories but in practice it can be a bit finicky...
IMG_6513.jpeg
Lots of root cuttings!
The results:
IMG_6518.jpeg
IMG_6519 copy.jpg
IMG_6522.jpeg
I improvised a sort of three point display last night :P

I kind of girdled the trunk base with the tiedowns - if it's kept under the soil level I might get better roots to cut back to (?) :fc: :lost:

I'll start the foliage pruning a little while after the first flush has hardened to get it tighter and more ramified.
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Post by SquatJar »

That is a really pleasant composition. Simple and elegant, congrats
Life's too short for boring pots
Per PF
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Slender literati Ulmus P. Summer Update!

Post by Per PF »

So this has been doing ok. It had some foliage problems in the beginning of summer and the growth has mainly been from the five surprise shoots growing from its base :P
IMG_7867.jpeg
IMG_7876.jpeg
I restarted the branches and it's been budding all over.
IMG_7875.jpeg
I rubbed off the lower ones still sticking to the literati plan - but in a clump style :whistle:
IMG_7873.jpeg

Return to “Deciduous”