Seeds

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
ANDY S
Bonsai Age: 0

Seeds

Post by ANDY S »

Hi I'm just wondering where I would be able to source reliable seeds of acer palmatum. Also Acer Oliverianum seeds. If anyone has any contacts.

Andy
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Seeds

Post by shibui »

I usually supply Acer palmatum and Trident maple seeds each winter. Fresh seed grows better than stored seed.
Or you can get a head start and purchase some seedlings that are already 1 or 2 years old.

Can't help with Acer oliveranum though. I've never even heard the name???
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

shibui wrote: June 14th, 2022, 6:10 pm I usually supply Acer palmatum and Trident maple seeds each winter. Fresh seed grows better than stored seed.
Or you can get a head start and purchase some seedlings that are already 1 or 2 years old.

Do you find you need to stratify the seeds in the fridge to get them to germinate?

I've been reading a few different websites - some suggesting 10+ weeks in the fridge, others saying to just plant them.

As this is dependent on climate, it would be good to get your take on it - not sure of your climate exactly, but I'm in Melbourne if that helps.
Macros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm/Maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Macros »

Last time I planted Japanese Maple seeds, it was a while ago, probably in 2007.
They were off a freind of mine's tree. They were directly off the tree and had undergone natural stratification. Last year, I tried chinese elm, JBP and JWP after stratification in the fridge.
Not a single seed took root or grew a sapling.
Has it ever made you wonder, who was the first person to say " See that cow..... I'm going to pull on those pink dangelly things....and drink what ever comes out" ?
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: July 18th, 2022, 11:15 pm
shibui wrote: June 14th, 2022, 6:10 pm I usually supply Acer palmatum and Trident maple seeds each winter. Fresh seed grows better than stored seed.

Do you find you need to stratify the seeds in the fridge to get them to germinate?

I've been reading a few different websites - some suggesting 10+ weeks in the fridge, others saying to just plant them.

As this is dependent on climate, it would be good to get your take on it - not sure of your climate exactly, but I'm in Melbourne if that helps.
You should cold/moist stratify at about 4C for 8 weeks in barely damp vermiculite after soaking in hot water overnight. Place the pot in a plastic bag with a few holes in it. You will get vigorous and more even germination. (assuming the seeds are fresh and have not dried out).
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Macros wrote: July 19th, 2022, 1:14 pm Last time I planted Japanese Maple seeds, it was a while ago, probably in 2007.
They were off a freind of mine's tree. They were directly off the tree and had undergone natural stratification. Last year, I tried chinese elm, JBP and JWP after stratification in the fridge.
Not a single seed took root or grew a sapling.
The seeds were probably not viable or you made some kind of mistake.
Pine seeds last a long time if kept refrigerated but completely dry. I once sowed a lot of Scots pine seeds that I had in the fridge for more than 20 years. They all germinated well.
Mike
Macros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Macros »

treeman wrote: July 19th, 2022, 1:22 pm
Macros wrote: July 19th, 2022, 1:14 pm
Pine seeds last a long time if kept refrigerated but completely dry. I once sowed a lot of Scots pine seeds that I had in the fridge for more than 20 years. They all germinated well.
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking? It was extremly windy here last year after I did it. Wind absolutly destroyed my little greenhouse.
I had it pegged into the ground and also had large cement blocks on the bottom railings. still wasn't enough, and blew the bastard across the yard!

I'm thinking that had a hand in it.
I planted the rest of the JWP seeds that were in the fridge from last year, last week. Heres hoping!
Has it ever made you wonder, who was the first person to say " See that cow..... I'm going to pull on those pink dangelly things....and drink what ever comes out" ?
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Macros wrote: July 19th, 2022, 1:35 pm
treeman wrote: July 19th, 2022, 1:22 pm
Macros wrote: July 19th, 2022, 1:14 pm
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking? It was extremly windy here last year after I did it. Wind absolutly destroyed my little greenhouse.
I had it pegged into the ground and also had large cement blocks on the bottom railings. still wasn't enough, and blew the bastard across the yard!

I'm thinking that had a hand in it.
I planted the rest of the JWP seeds that were in the fridge from last year, last week. Heres hoping!
JWP is probably best cold stratified. Black, red or scots don't need it nut it still helps.
Mike
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Macros wrote: July 19th, 2022, 1:35 pm Wind absolutly destroyed my little greenhouse.
Oh no... That's what I was thinking to do - because my little greenhouse just got blown about in the last few days.

If cement blocks didn't work... have you come up with anything better to help it stay grounded?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I still get good germination of FRESH maple seeds without any cold treatment. Even seed sown after last frost grows OK but with slightly reduced germination rates.
Maple seed is known to enter deeper dormancy if it is dried and stored for more than 6 months. It then becomes more difficult to germinate. Current wisdom is that soaking seeds in water and keeping at room temp for a few days/weeks before cold treatment seems to help break deep dormancy. Not required for fresh seed.

We experience frost most nights through winter so I usually just sow seeds in trays outside. They get enough natural stratification without all the problems associated with fridge stratification and start to germinate when weather warms up in spring.
Make sure all seeds are protected from seed eaters. Mice and rats are very efficient at finding buried seeds and can clear a whole tray in a couple of nights. Birds also scratch seed trays so mesh covers that allow rain and air in but exclude seed predators is a must for any outdoor seed sowing.

If your seed is fresh from last autumn I'd try sowing outdoors.
If you want some backup put some in the fridge for 6-10 weeks. Keep checking because they do tend to sprout in the bags.
Hydrogen peroxide or household bleach are good to sanitise seeds and substrate before fridge stratification. Seeds tend to go mouldy if you don't sanitise before they go in the fridge.

Not sure why everyone believes that little greenhouses are useful for germinating seeds. More trouble than they are worth :imo: Seeds will still germinate and grow just as well, often better, without 'protection'. After all, the worlds forests have done it without little plastic greenhouses for millions of years before we came along.

Agree that Japanese white pine probably germinates a lot better after stratification. I've only had one lot of seed so not extensive knowledge but the only ones that did grow were the few I cracked the nuts. JWP has larger, hard coating round the seeds. My guess is that stratification helps crack those hard coats and let water in to start germination.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Macros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Macros »

[/quote]

Oh no... That's what I was thinking to do - because my little greenhouse just got blown about in the last few days.

If cement blocks didn't work... have you come up with anything better to help it stay grounded?
[/quote]

Yep, no greenhouse :D

I think it was a Holeman green house with a misting unit I had. I think the issue was, because the frame of the unit it so lite, that it bucked under the stress of the wind?
if i'd thought about it, which i certanly did not, if I had it in a corner against my fence and the garden shed, I think it would have been better off?
Hopefully you can find a solution!

Cheers, Mac

Return to “Deciduous”