Beano Prunus ? - progression

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Beano Prunus ? - progression

Post by Beano »

I got this prunus at an Adelaide bonsai show last year. I originally wanted to triple my money by separating the trunks into 3 plants but decided after trimming that it looked pretty cool as a triple trunk. I’ll need to refresh my memory about triple trunk rules about branches crossing the trunk lines… does anyone have any suggestions? I just trimmed it a bit and repot for now to see what it does, as it went dormant very early and had some leaf yellowing months before that so not sure it’s healthy. It was pretty pot bound.

Before:

After:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Beano Prunus ? - progression

Post by shibui »

Think how trees grow naturally when planning branches on any multi trunk bonsai.
Branches grow toward the light so try to have branches growing away from other trunks. That means they probably won't cross in front of trunks but toward the back almost anything can happen.

Same thing toward the top of the tree. One trunk will be dominant - taller and thicker. I guess that means it was the first to grow which means that the other trunks will have grown outward and away from the larger trunk as they grew. The top of the smaller trunks essentially become upper branches of the multi trunk bonsai.
The right side trunk has good shape. It echoes the larger trunk and canopy above it.
Left side probably needs some more upper branches removed to open up a space and make the top of it flow out and away from the main tree.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: Beano Prunus ? - progression

Post by Akhi »

The main trunk looks a bit too straight might need to grow a sacrifice branch or carve out a bit to make it seem less clinical unless that's the look you are going for.
Like the smallest trunk especially the way it leaves the two trunks.

Return to “Deciduous”