Weird Trident Maple

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Weird Trident Maple

Post by Watto »

I dug this maple from a garden in 2018 mostly because it had a weird top. Since then it was just been grown in a black plastic pot but this year I decided to put it into a bonsai training pot for the first time.
I am unsure if the long straight bit should stay or go, and if it goes how low should I cut. It will be grown on in this pot for this season and I will make some decisions later on, but please feel free to lead me in the right direction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Re: Weird Trident Maple

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

If you got rid of the long straight bit, what would you do with it? Layer it into two trees? Worth keeping for the moment, as it is certainly interesting.
--
No idea what I am doing…
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Its an interesting decision, do you go with the unusual or stick with traditional?
I hope there are a few more opinions.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by PWC »

Watto wrote: August 8th, 2022, 8:19 pm Its an interesting decision, do you go with the unusual or stick with traditional?
I hope there are a few more opinions.
There is no shortage of traditional around, It would be worth while trying to do the unusual. If it doesn't work out you can always revert to the traditional. It looks like it has suffered a significant trauma to end up where it is and is something you don't see often.
Peter.
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

As PWC says there is nothing stopping you changing your mind later.

I guess another question would be, could you later it in such a way to still get the interest of the top and make the bottom traditional?

Options post layering the top could be some form of cascade? Maybe developed as a root over rock?

The root over rock you could under mount it on a rock?
--
No idea what I am doing…
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

I am having trouble opening my usual image editor, so hopefully this gives you the idea.

Unusual? Rock probably should be higher and more into the shape of the bend.
5E1ABCF4-6BDF-4236-89F0-393BF6915CB3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
No idea what I am doing…
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Watto, I would fight every impulse to make it something it is not… celebrate it’s unique growth. There are many examples of wonderful literati - particularly by Chinese masters that are works of natural art…. I’d revel in the oddity of it! Below is my concept and further, I’d be removing all growth on the left and concentrating on the right - minimal and sparse.ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

I’d be looking to cut out the straight, taperless section as you suggest Watto (marked yellow), somewhere around the green and build the next section of trunk from there.
Literati styled trees really need movement/interest along with character and taper in the trunk as that is their main feature. Without it, they lack authenticity for me and aren’t convincing. I think that straight section just doesn’t provide you with the material to make a good one. Hardest style to get a nice bonsai in my opinion…
I realise I am just taking you down a more conventional route with my concept, but I think that base gives a great opportunity to do an “informal upright” well.
Easy to come up with plans for a 2D tree from some photos without seeing it in real life, you have a better clue with the tree in front of you so might be missing something. There might be a better front on the other side as I think the leader on the left below my suggested cut site moves backwards?? Maybe a tilt forward??
Lots of options… potential!
FE051538-EBCA-49D7-873A-01117BF3F374.jpeg
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Post by Jow »

Watto wrote: August 8th, 2022, 3:50 pm I dug this maple from a garden in 2018 mostly because it had a weird top. Since then it was just been grown in a black plastic pot but this year I decided to put it into a bonsai training pot for the first time.
I am unsure if the long straight bit should stay or go, and if it goes how low should I cut. It will be grown on in this pot for this season and I will make some decisions later on, but please feel free to lead me in the right direction.
Keep it weird!
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I would do this if it were mine....
weird trident.JPG
Mike
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Weird Trident Maple

Post by MJL »

Great thread - here’s some inspiration from Zhao Qingquan - and the wonderful book - Literati Style Penjing … on the straight part on the left - perhaps hack it/gouge it/ carve it - like it’s been torn a ripper by a storm - done well, it may crate interest in that straight part and the the tree grows from the top, bending down to the right. Could be very cool, I reckon and nothing to lose - it you stuff it up - chop back to the traditional line later. Image
Great book - anyone - do yourself a favour and buy it along with the companion book by the same master: Penjing: the Chinese art of bonsai. Not to everyone’s taste - but my favourite, by the length of the Flemington Straight!

Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Promethius »

Love the variety of ideas here. Have you got trunk splitters? You could try to add some interest to the straight bit with a bend?

Otherwise you could try selling it to Pfizer as a new “before” sildenafil mascot.
evan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything Shohin
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society, The School of Bonsai

Post by evan »

images.jpeg
Very reminiscent of this famous maple at Aichi-en nursery. Definitely keep it weird.
SquatJar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society, VNBC

Post by SquatJar »

The tree has been gracious enough to provide it so I say embrace the funk.
Life's too short for boring pots
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

MJL wrote: August 9th, 2022, 1:35 pm Great thread - here’s some inspiration from Zhao Qingquan - and the wonderful book - Literati Style Penjing … on the straight part on the left - perhaps hack it/gouge it/ carve it - like it’s been torn a ripper by a storm - done well, it may crate interest in that straight part and the the tree grows from the top, bending down to the right. Could be very cool, I reckon and nothing to lose - it you stuff it up - chop back to the traditional line later.
Great book - anyone - do yourself a favour and buy it along with the companion book by the same master: Penjing: the Chinese art of bonsai. Not to everyone’s taste - but my favourite, by the length of the Flemington Straight!

These are interesting, and whilst I can appreciate the eccentricity of these penjing forms, I'm not convinced however the tree in question can follow this "vibe". The scale/proportion is completely different in these images compared to the photos of Watto's tree. The elongation and "sleekness" that is a major part of the aesthetic doesn't translate for me to a tree that is much more substantial, like the trident in question.
I can see it working though following a path similar to the tree @evan posted. Much closer to the actual proportions the tree has, there's merit in that.
I'll leave it in your capable hands Watto!

Return to “Deciduous”