Weird Trident Maple

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Weird Trident Maple

Post by Watto »

The comments are enlightening and interesting and I thank all those who have contributed to this discussion.
I'm getting a vibe to keep it weird (and that is reason I dug it) but I also understand the difficulties in keeping it that way and that is where a more conventional "maple shape" is an option.
I will update about this time next year, promise, trust me! :shake:
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yosh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Yosh »

what about a kind of weird semi-cascade type deal? Scrapping all the branches on the thick upright portion and grow your new canopy from the drooping section
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

I like Rycemans idea. I’d be pushing it back more traditional but that’s just my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

For mine, if you remove all the low left branches, you emphasise the difference between the Fat Base and the spindly hanging stuff. Which is Not Good. If you cut the hanging branch you lose all that is special - you might as well just stick some cuttings in the vegetable garden and hack them mindlessly for the same result.

Would you consider (back in a larger pot - sigh...) using some sacrifice branches to thicken the straight bit to harmonise better with its base? Then you have the problem of harmonising the hanging bit with the base, but that might be a problem for later...

(Is it rude to point out that the hanging branch is in fact almost as straight? Maybe they can just live together being straight if the drama of the whole tree distracts attention from the details? Just a thought.)

Nice problem to play with.

Gavin
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Have been following this one with interest Watto. I personally love trees such as this one that challenge the boundary's of what a tree should be and this is a great example . I would follow SquatJars comment " Embrace the funk ". Have fun John.

Return to “Deciduous”