Red leaf Japanese maples struggling

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
AdamBonz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 4

Red leaf Japanese maples struggling

Post by AdamBonz »

This year nearly all of my red leafed Japanese maple seedlings, both broad and lace leaf varieties have declined and maybe died. I don't know if its due to Melbourne weather or over watering or something else. The trunks look deadish - dark but these red maples tend have a darker trunk. I took these photos after cutting all the dead leaves off last week, but I guess that's also a bad sign, having the leaves die stuck on the plant. The leaves and stems were limp and crispy or blackened. I'm thinking root rot, but just surprised that my dozens of my green maple varieties are going super gang-busters right now and my red maples are inching toward the bin.

Repot too late?
Any advice?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AdamBonz on October 6th, 2023, 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Red leaf Japanese maples struggling

Post by TimS »

I learned the hard way germinating hundreds of lace leaf by seed that 99.999999% tend to die off by the 2nd year, just don't want to live. Regular green maples do just fine by seed, but certainly lace leaf want to exit the mortal coil ASAP
Kedron Brook
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku, Ficus, Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Kedron Brook »

Use Google to find TinyPanda. This webservice shrinks the pictures and then they can be uploaded here. Everyone likes pictures
I'd rather be a tree,
where it's cool & sunny,
than stuck in traffic,
going batshit,
it's the green life for me.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Weeping JM are notoriously difficult to keep alive unless grafted but red leaf types should not be much more difficult than the green ones.
Any other possible differences in culture? Like are the red ones in one area and greens in another in your yard? Different pots, soil type? Are some older than others? Been in the pots longer?

Check the base of the trunks for black bark. That's one problem I have experienced with JM but not only red types. If the bark is turning black and new shoots wilting, leaves collapse and turn black there's little hope.

If they have just dried out there's every chance they will shoot again.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Trimmy »

The black bark means it's rot. I had the same problem with two of mine even though they were treated the same as other maples that seem fine. I wish I had an explanation for it.
Dean
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 35
Bonsai Club: Urimbirra

Post by Dean »

Normal green Japanese maples are genetically stronger than dissectum and purple seedlings.My advice for these types don't overpot, don't over water however I have noticed they don't like radical changes in temperature once they get over three years old they are ok,but we'll drained potting mix is essential.

Sent from my CPH2185 using Tapatalk

Return to “Deciduous”