Maple with 3 propagation methods at the same time..crazy!

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
yamadorikid
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Backyard bonsai school

Maple with 3 propagation methods at the same time..crazy!

Post by yamadorikid »

Hi fellow bonsai enthusiast,
Just wanted to show a Dissectum Autumn fire that i 3 seperate propergation methods going all at the same time, all on the 1 tree,

The tree is a Dissectum Autumn fire that is grafted about 50-60 cm high.
[image]
IMG_2343.jpg
[/image]

Firstly I didnt like the graft to be so high so i decided to place a airlayer about 5cm below the graft on the root stock to eventually get a shorter tree, I saw that there are already roots in the layer and it should continue to grow further.
[image]
IMG_2618.jpg
[/image]

So since the bottom root stock would eventually be disposed of after i remove the top airlayer, i decided to graft a Germaines Gyration weeping maple to the bottom of the Root stock from the Autumn fire. This graft has taken and the new cultivar has been growing strong. :tu:
[image]
IMG_2617.jpg
[/image]

And thirdly i used the branches up top of the Autumn fire to approach graft onto another seperate standard Acer palmatum tree which has a twin trunk on it, and i have used this to approach graft 2 branches ( from the Autumn Fire ) to eventually get another Autumn Fire tree with a low twin trunk style.
Ill leave these untill end of summer and by then the graft should of healed together by then.
[image]
IMG_2619.jpg
[/image]

This was the first time i have tried multiple grafts and a airlayer on the same tree, but thinking about it, there shouldn't be any reason why each of them shouldn't work so i just decided to give it a go and learn from it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Re: Maple with 3 propagation methods at the same time..crazy!

Post by BirchMan »

This is pretty cool and shows how plants can be manipulated by us animals :D
I'm actually yet to do any grafting but keen to start with Ficus natalensis and microcarpa, and Shimpaku onto garden variety chinensis.

Return to “Deciduous”