English Oak - Nursery Stock

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
JimmyTheSkip
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Currently researching

English Oak - Nursery Stock

Post by JimmyTheSkip »

So I recently got an English Oak from a Nursery. It was a very straight trunk so I made the decision to trunk chop. It has bounced back with some really strong growth.
IMG_2888.jpg
IMG_2890.jpg
IMG_2892.jpg
My question is... Should I be cutting off some of the excess branches now or should I be waiting? For scale, the trunk is about 2.5 CM tall where I cut it off and the trunk is about the circumference of a 5c coin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Re: English Oak - Nursery Stock

Post by Patmet »

From experience and past mistakes, I would cut the lower stuff you don't want sooner rather than later. That way you will have smaller wounds to heal.

Especially where you have multiple shoots coming from the one spot. These thicken quickly to create big ugly lumps at the base of the branches. Even on the branches you want to keep, cut the excess shoots off so you only have one branch coming from each spot.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: English Oak - Nursery Stock

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Agree with Patmet - you could be a bit selective here in removing some of the cluster branching & letting the tree divert it's energy into the ones you want to keep growing stronger. It may want to re-shoot again from the places you remove the unwanted branches, but just keep rubbing these baby shoots off from the trunk. Have fun with it.

Return to “Deciduous”