Encourage trident growth at lower branches?

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Shills
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples
Bonsai Age: 0

Encourage trident growth at lower branches?

Post by Shills »

Hi there,

I would like to increase branch and foliage growth at a lower point on one of my trunks (see green circle). I assume I could encourage this by defoliating and cutting back the growth at top (the red lines). I do not want to chop the upper portion of the trunk itself.

The concern is that perhaps the tree wont be able to shoot from this lower part of the trunk after many years of not activity there.

Do you think it would likely encourage growth at this lower part of the trunk if I defoliate it now?
PXL_20240223_000939014.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Shills
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Re: Encourage trident growth at lower branches?

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Hi Shills, in my experience defoliating does not really give you the strong back budding that you are seeking.

The section circled in green looks like it might be a long internode that has grown under strong growth.

The way I would approach getting budding in this area would be either:
+ cut back to this point, drastic trunk chop that you do not want.
+ thread graft a long branch where you want it next late winter/spring. Tridents are quite resilient and take grafts quite easily.

Alternatively, try the defoliation and see what happens, the worst that could happen is you lose the remaining season's growth on exiting branches. You should have enough warm season left in Sydney for the tree to bud out again.

Scott.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Hard to tell from the one photo, but is there a possibility to could remove the entire branch? Eliminate the fork?....(just throw'n the option out there!)
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Normally defoliation of the upper trunk would encourage growth lower on the trunk. It may not stimulate buds on bare wood but will allow existing branches to grow.
The problem is it is already very late in the growing season, at least down here. Defoliating now probably won't achieve much this year. Maybe try next spring.
Defoliating too late can sometimes cause late flush of growth that then doesn't drop leaves in winter. That doesn't seem to cause any real harm and growth cycles return to normal the following year but it can be a bit worrying for the first time.
I've also had trees refuse to grow new leaves when defoliated late in autumn. Then you have to worry all winter whether you've done some real damage.

Is the reluctance to chop about getting trunk thickening or because you are happy with the current shape and height?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Post by Phil Rabl »

I agree with Shibui that it is too late in the growing season to defoliate. In terms of design, I think the tree looks pretty good with two powerful trunks. Getting the primary branches in proportion is artistically essential in my view. Perhaps you should just let the lower branch grow unchecked for one, two or more growing seasons until it is as thick as you want it to be. You could then refine it. Same for any other branches you want to thicken.
Shills
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples

Post by Shills »

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Perhaps it is a bit too late in the season for anything too heavy. Maybe I'll just be gentle for now. I realised that it would probably help to put that side of the tree in the sun also (to encourage growth), so have swivelled it around 180 degrees. and done a light bit of defoliating.

I didnt show it in the pics, but on closer inspection there are a few lower nodes there for potential budding.

I also agree that the lower branches are underdeveloped so maybe encouraging the lower growth of the next few years would achieve that node growth but also some thicker lower branches.

Thanks.

Return to “Deciduous”