Chinese Elm has stopped growing

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Favorite Species: Serissa,Prunus,Cotoneaster,Fukien Tea,(In that Ord
Bonsai Age: 5

Chinese Elm has stopped growing

Post by Jester »

Hi guys, its not even the end of December yet and all my Chinese Elms have stopped growing......Definitely no more shoots coming out. Is this normal in everybody's opinion, or far too early?
This message has been created with 100% recycled electrons
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Chinese Elm has stopped growing

Post by Jamie »

it is known of deciduous trees to go through a semi dormant period in the middle of a growing season that i think helps for another burst very soon after which i think also helps harden them off for the autumn and winter time :D

my elm is in the same situation to, i did defoliate it a couple weeks ago to though :D

cheers. jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
strawbs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of sydney

Post by strawbs »

Gday Jester, what sort of feeding regime are u using? i gave 2 of my elms a nice feed of seasol and a sprinkling of dynamic lifter
on the w'end, they are popping like crazy as of today. give them a nice feed and see how they go. heres some pics.
Picture 350.jpg
Picture 352.jpg
all the light green shoots have grown since sunday.!
cheers
strawbs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can't have order without chaos.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

strawbs,

have you defoliated your elms yet?? if so i am wondering how long it was until you seen new shoots come back to it?? i done mine bout 4 weeks ago, round about that anyway and i am still waiting for new shoots, i do think the buds are starting to swell now so heres hoping :D

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
strawbs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by strawbs »

hey Jamie, havent defoliated them as yet, first is a mini/ broom style taken from a cutting this season, just pinch and grow
for now. second foto is a "Ant chop" ( lol, he should trade mark that), also in the broom style. chopped this season so im letting it grow to get some branching atm. looking to defoliate round the start of january. then a good feed. :D
cheers
strawbs
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Almost everything of mine is still growing and doesn't seem to stop all summer!
The Elms are different. My English elms stopped shooting a while back. Some of my Chinese elms have definitely slowed but I haven't looked hard enough to say they have stopped for sure. I removed most branches of an English elm a couple of weeks ago and I have noticed it has started to shoot again in various places.

Grant was considering defoliating an English Elm at the collection when we discussed this very issue about elms a couple of weeks ago so he might have some new information on this.
It is definitely nothing to worry about but if it is very healthy it may be worth doing a full or partial defoliation if you want to push it.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

strawbs wrote:hey Jamie, havent defoliated them as yet, first is a mini/ broom style taken from a cutting this season, just pinch and grow
for now. second foto is a "Ant chop" ( lol, he should trade mark that), also in the broom style. chopped this season so im letting it grow to get some branching atm. looking to defoliate round the start of january. then a good feed. :D
cheers
strawbs

:lol: :lol: to right there pal :D
Bretts wrote:Almost everything of mine is still growing and doesn't seem to stop all summer!
The Elms are different. My English elms stopped shooting a while back. Some of my Chinese elms have definitely slowed but I haven't looked hard enough to say they have stopped for sure. I removed most branches of an English elm a couple of weeks ago and I have noticed it has started to shoot again in various places.

Grant was considering defoliating an English Elm at the collection when we discussed this very issue about elms a couple of weeks ago so he might have some new information on this.
It is definitely nothing to worry about but if it is very healthy it may be worth doing a full or partial defoliation if you want to push it.
i defoliated cause the trees leaves were dying back, i think it was due to something clogging them up, i ended up cutting back hard too, i am pretty sure the buds are starting to swell so hopefully they will pop anyday now and it will boom from there :D

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
strawbs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by strawbs »

hey Jamie, give them a good dose of seasol, wait a few days, then get back to me. lol...
just what the doctor ordered.
strawbs
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

About four weeks ago I received a Chinese elm in a big nursery pot and about 8-9 foot tall off my parents(I dont know what they were doing with it or why I didn't previously know about it :? ). I chopped the trunk to about 20cm and took about 80% of the roots off. Anyhow, this week it has exploded! :D This afternoon I counted over 30 new buds on the trunk :o. Now I just need them to grow where I want them for a loverl broom style.
Anyhow, to answer the question, my chinese elms (the example above and 3 smaller cuttings) are currently booming.
As for my English elm...
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

strawbs wrote:hey Jamie, give them a good dose of seasol, wait a few days, then get back to me. lol...
just what the doctor ordered.
strawbs

no worries doc :lol: :D

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Favorite Species: Serissa,Prunus,Cotoneaster,Fukien Tea,(In that Ord
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Jester »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I may cut it back a bit and give it some Seasol and see how we go.
This message has been created with 100% recycled electrons

Return to “Deciduous”