acer palmatum sango kaku

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
teejay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society, APAB Study Group

Re: acer palmatum sango kaku

Post by teejay »

Excuse me while I tap into this thread to pose this question :) ... but since the subject is Japanese Maples...

Has anyone here had success striking cuttings or air-layers on the rough barked "arakawa" maple? I bought a larger one, which is grafted, because I love the look of them. I have also read somewhere that they will strike from cuttings, but so far I've had zero success.

Has anyone else had a go at these?
I really do wish they'd hurry up and grow.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi teejay,
I have moderate success with acer palmatum cuttings, The cuttings are taken from semi ripe wood usually around december, you have probably missed the boat this year but could still give it a bash. You may not get a huge strike rate as you would with tridents but should get a few to root.
teejay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society, APAB Study Group

Post by teejay »

Thanks Craig,

I tried taking them in December, no success, but admittedly it was a half-hearted attempt. It's been a busy summer and they were a little neglected. I've got an Acer palmatum in the backyard which never seems to fail striking no matter how often I forget they're there??? I think this lulled me into a false sense of security :) .

Next december I won't forget.
I really do wish they'd hurry up and grow.

Return to “Deciduous”