Acer Negundo

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Favorite Species: Serissa,Prunus,Cotoneaster,Fukien Tea,(In that Ord
Bonsai Age: 5

Acer Negundo

Post by Jester »

Hi there crazy kids!!! I would like to know if anyone has tried to bonsai a box elder?? How did you go? Were you able to achieve any degree of leaf reduction :?: :?:

Any pictures would be much appreciated :P

John

P>S> Is any special care required for this type of tree?? :geek:
This message has been created with 100% recycled electrons
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: Acer Negundo

Post by anttal63 »

HI jester, im in my second year of growing seedlings. The corky bark is what attracted me to these trees originally. How ever they are very course in their growth and will need to be large trees. I'm yet to play with defoliation and cant answer on leaf reduction at this point. They do like the deeper grow pots and water this year. Last year they hit the brakes early and did not move again until last spring. This year they seem to be powering on. :D 8-)
Regards Antonio:
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Favorite Species: Serissa,Prunus,Cotoneaster,Fukien Tea,(In that Ord
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Jester »

Thanks Antony, thankyou for the info mate
This message has been created with 100% recycled electrons
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Post by Ron »

These seedlings pop up everywhere around here and are considered weeds. I've got a couple of collected seedlings growing, one in the ground that's about 2m tall and another one about 5 inches that I found growing out of a hole in the old septic tank and which is a plastic pot.

I've not been able to get either of them to branch: they just grow straight up and don't look very interesting to me.

EDIT: I just re-read the above posts and saw corky bark. My 2m tree just has a smooth green trunk similar to a Japanese maple of the same size.
Last edited by Ron on February 2nd, 2010, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

i've got a couple that i wired in the first months of life so have nice movement and are thickening up this year. I'm not trying for branches at this point. Just height equals girth for now Ron. so again i can't comment there. I would chop the trunk back now and that should entice them to pop. :D ;)
Regards Antonio:
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ron »

Yes, I chopped the top of the 2m one last week and am waiting for something to happen. On the small potted one I pinched the latest leaf set off yesterday.

I'll try for some pics tomorrow or the next day if I get a few minutes of sun (been raining here all week and another week of it is forecast - had to wear a jumper today!).
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

Gee wizz Ron that sounds nice. We're sweatn down here! :roll: :D
Regards Antonio:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I can't say much about refinement as others but I have had some of these on the go since I started. They are very hardy in my climate and as Antonio says. give them the right conditions and they take off pretty fast.
I have about 4 on the go One very straight trunk but getting a decent size. One root over rock That always seems to need another year before I start refinement. One root over ornament that needs another trunk chop. Also one that is showing signs of the issues I have had this year but seems like it will pull through :roll:

They can be an interesting species I think of the liquid amber as a poor mans maple and these are definitely a step up on the cool meter :)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ron »

Ron wrote:....I found growing out of a hole in the old septic tank and which is in a plastic pot.
So is this the same as the A.negundos we're talking about? My local nursery id'd it as a negundo.

Last edited by Ron on February 3rd, 2010, 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Deciduous”