hornbeam id help required

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

hornbeam id help required

Post by craigw60 »

A gardening friend of mine gave me this hornbeam seedling which I have not been able to ID. I grow betula, caroliniana and laxiflora but this one has baffled me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
With thanks from Craig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: hornbeam id help required

Post by Bretts »

That would be Carpinus Cordata. Or Hart leaf hornbeam I think.
That will cost you a picture of each of your hornbeams. Pleeeeease :lol:

I have tried to get a positive ID on the Carolina that Ray grows. It does not have the smooth bark of a normal Carolina. I have discovered that Carolina is the most prolific cross breeder of the species so I am guessing it is a hybrid. Also as the Cordata has two features in comparison to Rays Carolina being (possible) amazing variegated autumn colour(same as the Korean can exhibit) and palleted(rough) bark it is my Guess that Rays Carolina is hybrid with cordata.

So I would love to see your Carolina to compare. Plus I just want to see them ;)
If you are lucky you may end up with Autumn colour like this except you may end up with three different colours on the one leaf separated by the veins not disperse like autumn colour usually is.
hornbeam bonsai firey jimFG (3).jpg
But that is seed variable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Re: hornbeam id help required

Post by craigw60 »

Thanks Brett,
I wonder where my friend found Carpinus cordata, the world is full of surprises. I have been trying to find a Korean rock hornbeam for years. I have some of the Kokufu albums and there is always the most amazing specimens in them. Will photograph my trees and post them for you soon.
Regards from Craig

Return to “Deciduous”