Defoliating japanese maple

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Defoliating japanese maple

Post by shibui »

I decided this tree could do with defoliation. Some leaves were a little burnt and all leaves were too big for such a little tree. Perhaps I should have done it earlier but its not going to be shown this year so I left the leaves to build up strength.
palmatum small 2010 before.JPG
palmatum small 2010 after.JPG
Some small leaves have been left on weaker inner branches to encourage growth and strength.
This tree is grafted from the first branch up.
It originally had a nice lower curve but was very straight above. I tried all the techniques to get shoots near the top of the curve but it refused to cooperate so I grafted a new shoot at the top of the curve so I could grow a new apex. When I removed the rest of the tree a bud finally emerged that became the first branch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Defoliating japanese maple

Post by alpineart »

Hi Shibui , that's a very nice little Japanese maple .Mine tend to lack movement although i guess if you put the foot work in you get the results .Cheers
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Defoliating japanese maple

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Nice little palmatum shibui.
It's probably not too late in the year to defoliate, Yackandanda will be warm well into April!!

Cheers
Mojo Moyogi
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist

Return to “Deciduous”