Has anyone ever grown Golden Japanese zelkova

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Has anyone ever grown Golden Japanese zelkova

Post by Bretts »

I have had a small one of these for a few years and it can be a very nice tree. I was thinking about getting a bigger one. Has anyone grown this?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Has anyone ever grown Golden Japanese zelkova

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Hi Brett, my experience with Golden Zelkova is that they are a bit weak and are intolerant of heat and are less desirable than the species Zelkova serrata.

Cheers
Mojo Moyogi
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Thanks Mojo. I agree they get the leaf burn pretty easy but Mine must have defoliated at the right time this year as it doesn't have a bad set of leaves at the moment. I might even get some decent colour this year :)
Usually the smaller the tree the harder it is to keep healthy and as this one was only a $3 starter from Ray and is not much bigger today yet still stays healthy I was thinking the opposite of being weak and one of the reasons I was thinking about getting a bigger one.

Mine was a cute little tree until I decided to let the daughter have free rain at it. :lol:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

many gold leafed shrubs and trees require a bit of shade in the afternoon, berberis thumbergii aurea is one that springs to mind another is the gold leaf philadelphus which will burn badly if grown in full sun so this zelkova is probably the same.I generally give these plants enough morning sun to retain their leaf colour then shade for the rest of the day.
Craig
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Post by Ron »

There was one sold in NSW on eBay last December that was 11 years old. My beginner's eye finds it quite appealing.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0465381760

Return to “Deciduous”