Jan's Elm

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Jan's Elm

Post by Jan »

I am submitting this Elm as my entry in the “New Stock” section of the competition. I’d like to learn more so joining in and asking for advice seems to be the way to go.

I dug this elm out of the sheep yards to learn from and hopefully have something to enjoy as it develops. The price was right (only my effort to remove the plant from the ground) to learn on, and I’ve found elms to be “tough as old boot” so I hope that it will survive firstly, and develop enough during the year to show some improvement.
2009-11-15_Elm_in_ground.jpg
I removed the branch coming off at root level.
2009-11-15_Elm_unearthed.jpg
The roots were unsuitable for a small pot (their eventual destination) so I cut off the main tap root and cut the others back to encourage more fine roots to develop. I left enough to support the plant (I hope) and will treat it as a cutting while it develops new roots. I’ve used honey on the cuts. I would have liked to remove the heavy root on the left but hope to be able to do so later after other roots have grown.
2009-11-15_Elm_root_pruned.jpg
I’ve potted it in a training pot with a sandy mix (treating it like a cutting). I’ve placed a wick in through the bottom of the pot to provide water should the level drop on these hot days, and placed it in a wide tray (ice cream container with a hole punched in the side 1 inch from the base for drainage in case of rain) to keep mix moist and provide humidity in the vicinity of the plant. I’ve trimmed some of the growth and removed on large branch (a stub was left to jin).
2009-11-15_Elm_first_trim.jpg
More growth was trimmed and the trunk bent into place with a guy wire (trunk protected by ice cream container plastic threaded onto wire).
2009-11-15_Elm_potted_&_trimmed.jpg
Even with a plastic bag over it to help retain humidity, I expect that the leaves will die off, but being an elm I expect that with consistent moisture and humidity it will reshoot and I will continue to work with what the plant provides.

Jan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Re: Elm

Post by MelaQuin »

You will have your work cut out for you with that long straight stretch from the main bend. You will need to establish a strong root system before you can start trying to put some movement in it and the time line might be too fine. But it's a freebie and it's a learning curve and go for it.
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

The strong reduction of top growth will have balanced out the lack of roots somewhat but this is going to be a delicate survival project. Keep it out of direct sun for now. I wish you the best of luck.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

I am going to withdraw this plant as an entry in the competition. It will not come to anything in the time frame so I won’t clutter the competition with it.

I won’t give up on the plant easily; if I get it to go I will post the results in the progression section.

Elm cuttings have previously been a breeze but this one is sulking big time! I’ve removed it from its pot – no sign of striking so I have cut it off, back into an area where the bark shows green, buttered it with honey, potted it into one of my “soft drink bottle propagators” to keep the moisture level constant and used a mix with lots of sand and sphagnum to plant in. This method produces green shoots in a week on fresh material for me so I have hope of saving it yet.

My aim was/is to learn and I’m coming across new (to me) ideas all the time. Involvement with the comp has prompted me to take my record keeping more seriously and inspired me to start putting together a bonsai reference library by recommended authors to help with the learning process. My nearest bonsai club is three hours drive away, and while I was a member for many years and enjoyed the newsletters very much, I was rarely able to attend a meeting. I was delighted to discover AusBonsai; I’ve learned much (and found just how much more there is to learn!) but best of all I’m having fun with my trees.

Thank you,

Jan

Return to “Deciduous”