Luma Apiculata

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Luma Apiculata

Post by Josh »

Looking for advice on Luma Apiculata. Can they be bare rooted? Currently digging a full hedge of them. Some are great stock like first photo, others need work. Some have large trunks but have ground layered above as the soil has been raised. Would like to cut upper roots off over time to get back to the thick trunk base. Second one is a tree I bare rooted and cut hard to see what was under there. Thick trunk had roots on bottom before cutting off.
A lot of these will go in the ground to grow on as they have thick bases but need the top worked so will plant and prune to shape in ground.
A6053380-5D57-4CEA-BCA4-F1295717D23A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Luma Apiculata

Post by shibui »

Can't remember if I have ever actually bare rooted any of mine but I have cut roots really hard and they recover fast. Can't see any reason these would object to bare root.
Pruning is no problem as they seem to bud on older wood easily.

That first one looks like really nice material to start with. Not sure I would bother to keep the second one though
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Re: Luma Apiculata

Post by Josh »

I’m going to go through them and pick some to plant out front as a hedge (you know to make the front yard look nice lol) then just grow on and prune in ground. Got thick trunks so will just regrow the tops. Got 8-10 like the first one so that’ll keep me going till they regrow lol

Return to “Evergreen”