buxus

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

buxus

Post by tgward »

recently tidied a buxus of some sort. wondering if it would be improved and look older or larger if the deadwood was removed .canopy is approx 750mm wide, height 750mm above pot rim.also a straight branch on the left needs some bending somehow
IMG_20231214_202510[2].jpg
- any opinions would be helpful thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Re: buxus

Post by Patmet »

I don't know, I kinda like the deadwood. I would be reluctant to remove it myself. I like the tree as a whole. I think as far as making it look older and larger, I would be concentrating on refining those branches as much as possible, and opening up the foliage pads to give more definition to each small pad and the different levels.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Buxus wood is extremely tough and hard. I doubt you'll be bending any of those branches without some very advanced technique.

I also like dead wood but, in this case there may be just a bit too much of a good thing. Consider shortening a few or removing a couple so it's not so busy.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by TimIAm »

I'm seeing something like this
buxus2.jpg
If it were mine, I'd look to balance out the foliage. With the straighter branch on the left side, I'd cut back as far as possible and regrow. I know that would take a few years, but I think it needs to be done.

I like the idea of having one trunk being a semi-dead / deadwood feature trunk and the other having no deadwood. I'd then work on developing the pads.

One other part I would consider: Above the straight branch on the left is that very thick branch, it appears much thicker than the two below it. Not sure if it's just the perspective from this photo. But that is another section I would look at working on.
buxus3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

thanks everyone - as for that straight branch I'm thinking of wedge cutting in two or three places to help the bending - and then reducing the thickness of most jins - am also trying to avoid the buxus pom-pom look

Return to “Evergreen”