Two Cycas revoluta

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Two Cycas revoluta

Post by MattA »

Over the last few years I have been given two very different revoluta, both date from about 1984 and were small seedlings with the seed still attached at the time of purchase.

The first was given to me by an older member of the Newcastle club, it has spent its entire life in deep bonsai pots. This year it has yet to expand a new set of leaves so I made the decision to repot today. Trunk height is approx 19cm & is planted in a Tongrae pot.
100_3839rz.jpg
The second spent 2 yrs in an 8" plastic pot & then planted in a narrow raised garden bed. I dug it in February 2009 and removed 6 pups that were larger than my bonsai version sitting below. I have since removed about 3 dozen smaller pups with many more still around its base that are yet to leaf out. The trunk is approx 72cm.
100_3842rz.jpg
It wasn't till I had finished repotting that i noticed a resident amongst the leaves. When I looked around the larger one I found 9 more living amongst its leaves!
100_3840rz.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Re: Two Cycas revoluta

Post by Damian Bee »

Nice one Matt, but where did you get your shrinking ray?

Return to “Evergreen”