cut back african olive

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

cut back african olive

Post by Matthew »

Hi,

just thought id post some pics of my african olive. This tree was neglected for a few years and as such some inner branches died off and exess growth was too straight. I began to cut back fairly hard and wire branches last weekend . the bottom right branch still needs cutting back harder but i will wait to see how it responds than cut again. will half cut the top leaves tomorrow to allow more sunlight etc in.temp still around 30 up here with night time still around 20 degress everything is going through another spurt. My back drop wasent long enough too. i have to invest in a new backdrop and better lighting as i have alot of pines id like to share in the coming months. Needs a repot next year. Change of pot too. this is a mica. Tree is 68cm tall.
olive bonsai 2.jpg
olive back.jpg
olive ramification.jpg
ramification close.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Re: cut back african olive

Post by Steven »

G'day Noah,
Nice movement in the lower trunk and good branch structure! I feel it's a bit too tall and could do with chopping back. I've done a nasty little virt to show what I mean...
Noah's olive bonsai.jpg
Regards,
Steven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

I agree with Steven, Noah, it ecentuates the movement better. I am not sure if it is the photography, but there apears to be a reverse taper happening.
It would be wise to correct that if possible with maybe a rock or plant. JMO :) Pup
Last edited by Pup on April 20th, 2009, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

pup,

you are right, that bulge on the left is actually the first left branch been brought up and started many years ago. It is now fused into the trunk and cannot be moved.Theres a large shari going through there i need to make more visable too. i think the right rock under will give the tree a better feel. Im not sure who the original artist was but it has had alot of work. Every main branch was wired than every sub branch wired also. as you know olive growth is very straight and needs to be either wired early or by the cut and grow method. I think a height reduction is a good idea ill keep studying this tree and see where it leads me next spring. Thanks for the input :)

Return to “Evergreen”