a little carving i did today

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
alexgee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

a little carving i did today

Post by alexgee »

bought a escalloniaa few months back from the bargain corner, i really like the lower movement.

when i finally got this out of the nursery pot the root ball was huge, i reduced it by 80 percent and trimmed the branches too.

it has reacted well to the treatment and at further brainstorming(didnt really like the twin trunk) i thought to introduce a jin

the best before shot third from the right

and one mid stream

and one done ,well for now, will give it a hit of lime sulphur later

again the pics are crap am so used to shooting cars and solid thing trees are a different ball game
Last edited by alexgee on September 20th, 2009, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: a little carving i did today

Post by anttal63 »

nice one al! :D
Regards Antonio:
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

Nice work. However, I would have kept the taller trunk as it has better movements and carved the shorter one. By the way, how did you carve the bark? it looks very smooth.
Cheers
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
alexgee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by alexgee »

the movement is very similar through both the branches( although hard to see from the pics)and the shorter one was budding like mad as well.i want to incorperate/intergrate the 2 branches as the live feeders grows,perhaps towering it over the deadwood or something of the like

i used pliers and shears to shape the end and a syderco knife to form it all,it is a combination blade i,e flat and serrated and is very effective(you can see it in one of the pics)and then gave it a hit with some 120grit sandpaper

i have since treated it with lime sulphur and trimmed the lower unwanted growth and the little guy is reacting very well

Return to “Evergreen”