Westringia Fruticosa Zena

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Westringia Fruticosa Zena

Post by Watto »

I have often wondered why Westringia are not used as a bonsai. So I thought I would give it a go.
This is my first attempt and I think it has some good features (Westringia not necessarily this tree) such as good bark, small leaves, buds back (from what I can see), hardy, Australian native and grows quite fast.
This one is only small, about 14 cm and has only been in a bonsai pot for about 4 months, but does respond to the clip and grow method.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Re: Westringia Fruticosa Zena

Post by Pearcy001 »

I have a couple growing on that I collected from a garden. They back bud readily and seem to push buds from exposed roots (although I haven't officially tried a root cutting). Mine have great bark from age - fissured but not excessively. Look forward to following your thread.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

Hi Watto

I've entered one in the "Natural" comp so if ya got any tips, i'm all ears mate 8-)
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by Elmer »

Sweet little tree. Don't know about the bonsai side but in the garden they can suffer dieback or sudden death for no apparent reason.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

That's not what i wanted to hear :palm: :lol:
Pickers84
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Western Australia

Post by Pickers84 »

Late on this post but I have 3 I'm working on at the moment. I love the way they back-bud and I also like the way the trunks bark over, I have had not issues in keeping them happy. I water in the morning (they are thirsty buggers) and mist the leaves in the arvo. I haven't had one die on me yet but I feel like it can pretty much happen with any plants if issues aren't caught in time, it's easy to miss something especially with auto watering systems as people tend to set and forget rather than go and check them. I haven't done that predominantly because 1) I haven't found a "Good" place to keep them in a somewhat semi permanent location yet and 2) I find it relaxing going out and checking them/ moving them if need be. I have about 30 and been doing it for roughly 8 yrs.

back to the Westringia, I think they have a great potential for nice pads and even great canopy styles. Yours has a great trunk on it! :cool: :tu2:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I gave this a severe cut back a few months ago and it has responded quite well. I think I will let it grow unchecked until spring but I am quite hopeful that it will be better for the experience.
I have noted a couple of branches failed to push foliage from bare wood so that is a lesson learnt. The new foliage is healthy though and there is improved ramification.
Fingers crossed for continued growth in the coming months. :fc:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Evergreen”