FUKEIN TEA

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Nicho
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

FUKEIN TEA

Post by Nicho »

Hi guys ive had this bonzai pictured since july as seen in the pictures it has come along way just curious about one thing. I have 2 shoots that have propogated and shot straight up very quickly in about a month or so from the very base of the tree. Just curious if these are suckers and a leeching the olant so to speak or if these are infact new branches that i can leave to encourage more thickness into the lower part of the trunk by sacrifice etc. At this point in time i am unsure exactly the direction of the plant that i want to go in i have some ideas. But i am basically just letting it grow out until around june / july this year as that will be 1 year since i owned it and it looked pretty sad when i first got it. Basically just curious if i should leave these new shoots are remove. Sorry im very new to the bonzai game appreciate any help :)
Nicho
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: FUKEIN TEA

Post by Nicho »

Please let me know if you cannot see attachments as i think it is not working
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

No attachment have you resized it ? If it is too large it will not load. Make it 500 mb and it will load.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Nicho
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Nicho »

Nicho wrote: January 11th, 2020, 10:32 am Hi guys ive had this bonzai pictured since july as seen in the pictures it has come along way just curious about one thing. I have 2 shoots that have propogated and shot straight up very quickly in about a month or so from the very base of the tree. Just curious if these are suckers and a leeching the olant so to speak or if these are infact new branches that i can leave to encourage more thickness into the lower part of the trunk by sacrifice etc. At this point in time i am unsure exactly the direction of the plant that i want to go in i have some ideas. But i am basically just letting it grow out until around june / july this year as that will be 1 year since i owned it and it looked pretty sad when i first got it. Basically just curious if i should leave these new shoots are remove. Sorry im very new to the bonzai game appreciate any help :)
rsz_20200111_140602.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

hard to confirm the species from that out of focus pic but assuming the ID is correct suckers from the base will be normal. in fact, you may end up with a full time job cutting them off as the tree gets healthier and older.
A sucker is just another branch on the tree so not really any different to other parts. They often do grow faster than the main trunk but won't do any harm unless they get much taller than the main trunk. We often use low branches as sacrifice branches to encourage the trunk to get thicker down low. You can allow them to grow for a year or 2 then cut them off if you need to add trunk thickness. If you would rather put more effort into the existing branches then remove the low growing parts. There is no hard rules for this, depends what you want to achieve.

BTW you will get advice better suited to your specific location if you add a location or area to your profile. Aust (or the world?) is a big place with members in all different climates. Advice from tropical growers may not be appropriate for southern members or desert dwellers or vice versa.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicho
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Nicho »

Excellent thank you very much that was exactly the info i was after will look at adding info shortly :) sorry the image was blurry thats how it came out after resizing. Thanks again mate :tu:

Return to “Evergreen”