Ideas for buxus

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
tombops
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 2

Ideas for buxus

Post by tombops »

buxus bonsai.jpg
Got this buxus from my local nursery and trying to work out what to do with it. I've potted it up done a bit of pruning but still cant seem to decide on a style for it. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Ideas for buxus

Post by shibui »

I think the reason you can't come up with ideas is because there's so little to work with.
At the moment there is no real tree obvious but it could be almost anything as it grows. It is probably a matter of deciding what you would like to grow and then set about developing that from what you have.
The slingshot Y trunk is not particularly attractive as bonsai so 1 will probably get removed at some stage but i would leave them both for a while as the extra one will help thicken the base substantially while it is on.
If you really like the idea of twin trunk you could bury the trunk a little deeper and new roots will grow closer to the fork so it looks like a real twin tree.

There's the long, slow development option which involves regular trimming and many years to get the trunk to thicken or there's the quicker way where you let all the shoots grow wild for a year or 2 then cut back to find the thicker trunk and then grow better branches.

If you are happy with a little 'tree' just keep trimming to shape whenever the shoots grow.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tombops
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Ideas for buxus

Post by tombops »

yeah was tossing up whether or not to go twin trunks or not. also thought about using the second trunk as a sacrifice branch and forming it into an informal upright style, but thought that might leave to big of a scar but i guess i could always bury the trunk further down. maybe i could just grow it into a dense informal broom type style. a few options there i guess.

Return to “Evergreen”