Pyracantha repot

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Hailun
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nepean, Illawarra

Pyracantha repot

Post by Hailun »

When is the best time to repot a pyracantha that is dreadfully pot bound
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...

Re: Pyracantha repot

Post by juan73870 »

Today :)
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

If the buds are swelling, it would be an ideal time. If not, maybe wait until they do swell, (fairly soon in Sydney) for maximum transplant vigour as you will probably need to do some brutal root work.

Just my 2c.,

Gavin
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

pyracantha's are ever green trees. I thought repotting in the warmer months say mid spring would be safer. I have a couple and i repot mid spring
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Pyracantha are a very tough weedy plant. That means that they can tolerate more abuse than some other species which would explain why we have such a diverse range of opinions on repotting time.
I've been doing mine whenever they need it and I have the time and they seem to manage just fine. Any time from mid winter through to late spring should be OK and I suspect autumn repotting would also be OK.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FreddieV
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Satsuki
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by FreddieV »

shibui wrote: August 5th, 2020, 7:03 pm Pyracantha are a very tough weedy plant. That means that they can tolerate more abuse than some other species which would explain why we have such a diverse range of opinions on repotting time.
I've been doing mine whenever they need it and I have the time and they seem to manage just fine. Any time from mid winter through to late spring should be OK and I suspect autumn repotting would also be OK.
Sorry for going off topic...
Mate mine suddenly dropped all it's leaves mid autumn last. Couldn't figure out why...drought, fungi..don't know.
I took it into the greenhouse and kept it damp. Luckily it slowely started growing small new leaves again. It's full now, but the leaves stayed small. It needs a repot this year. You think it'll handle one? I won't trim any roots...just light clean and slip pot.
Also...any idea why it dropped it's leaves? Is it known to do that when it gets some or other stress?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Mate mine suddenly dropped all it's leaves mid autumn last. Couldn't figure out why...drought, fungi..don't know.
I took it into the greenhouse and kept it damp. Luckily it slowely started growing small new leaves again. It's full now, but the leaves stayed small. It needs a repot this year. You think it'll handle one? I won't trim any roots...just light clean and slip pot.
Also...any idea why it dropped it's leaves? Is it known to do that when it gets some or other stress?
Dropping leaves is usually a sign of stress in all trees, pyracantha included. The real problem is to work out what the stress was.
Your mention that it needs a repot could be a clue. Trees that are root bound are notoriously difficult to water properly so it is possible the tree got dry for a day or 2 and dropped leaves to conserve water.
If a tree needs repotting I would opt to repot even if the tree is a bit weak. If the tree is weak because it needs a repot then postponing repot can only make the tree worse. How you do it depends what you find. If there are few roots just change the mix but leave roots as intact as possible. If it is very congested you will need to cut roots but the tree should be better for that after.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hailun
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Club: Nepean, Illawarra

Post by Hailun »

Thanks all, repot done, good root prune, seasol and now rain. It was very root bound!
Would post a photo but can't work out how.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Hailun wrote: August 7th, 2020, 10:01 am Would post a photo but can't work out how.
when posting go to attachements down below and add your photos. Make sure you resize them first ( I do @ 800x600dpi) as file size limits are in place

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries

Return to “Evergreen”