Jelly Bean Olive

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Jelly Bean Olive

Post by KIRKY »

Hi all, does anyone have a Jelly Bean Olive they can post pictures of and advise care growing requirements etc….Or can anyone tell me the difference between the Family: Oleaceae Scientific name: Olea europaea Common Names: Common Olive, European Olive, Olive and the Jelly Bean Olive. Many thanks
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Jelly Bean Olive

Post by TimIAm »

Hi Kirky,

If I do a google search for 'jelly bean olive' I get zero results. Do you have the species name?

Inaturalist is a resource I typically go to if I want to see pictures of a particular species. Interestingly, it only has observations for 2 species of olive in Australia https://inaturalist.ala.org.au/observat ... ew=species

The reason I'm putting this resource out there is because it is usually incredibly useful to see pictures of certain species. You may need to remove the Australia filter as some species of tree used for bonsai don't get observed as they are imported. I also wanted to suggest this resource as a while back you were looking for examples of elm trees. https://inaturalist.ala.org.au/observat ... ew=species
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Thanks TimIam, I have no idea what a Jelly Bean Olive is either. Found it on Ray Nesci Nursery site, thought I would find out if anyone has or heard of one. Looking to place an order for some hard to find stock here in Melb. Will ask him when I place my order. Thanks for the links will check them out.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by TimIAm »

It looks like they've got it listed as a cultivar rather than a separate species. Ray has worked on and provides a few different cultivars, I have one of their crab apples.

They are always helpful, so sure they can tell you. :yes:

Return to “Evergreen”