NEED ADVICE ON GROWING OLIVE ROOTS

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Re: NEED ADVICE ON GROWING OLIVE ROOTS

Post by MelaQuin »

I like the thought of splitting to widen the trunk but splitting or developing a higher band of roots will be the options. Having never split before [trees, that is] I am not sure of the correct time but all that will be given it's due when the tree is on the table and the operation begins come Sunday. I will be getting the aid of a couple of enthusaists far, far more experienced than I am. The tree would have to be a lot more hopeless than this one before I would tackle such a measure on my own.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Re: NEED ADVICE ON GROWING OLIVE ROOTS

Post by MelaQuin »

Well, the olive is in Intensive Care on bottom heat for awhile. It was ringbarked, cambium removed, tarted up with hormone powder, spagnum and plastic wrapped than potted deep. The possibility of splitting the trunk to widen the base was not utilised because there was too much chance of serious splitting that would badly damage the trunk. I was happy to eliminate the chance of a possible disaster. While I appreciate the fact it is in 'Quality Care' and will be looked after in conditions better than I can begin to offer in my yard, I am missing not being able to check on it daily. I will keep you posted in a few months with a photo of the shorter tree [presuming I don't get gangrene from seriously crossed fingers hoping it doesn't die].

Return to “Evergreen”