NEED ADVICE ON GROWING OLIVE ROOTS

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

NEED ADVICE ON GROWING OLIVE ROOTS

Post by MelaQuin »

I have an olive [odd about that] that has the tiniest leaves, natural size. Unfortunately the trunk is far from exciting and I think the tree would start to look good if I can shorten the trunk by raising the roots. I reckon I need to establish a root system that is 2cm above the existing one. This is the ONLY way to make it into something nice.

I've already reduced it greatly from the top as the bonsai 'stylist' liked it as a hideous telegraph pole. He flogs similar abortions at Parklea to those who don't know better. But I wanted the leaves.

Now, how do I get a new ring of roots higher on the trunk base WITHOUT losing any foliage. It's taken two years to develop the branching and padding.
Erki Park 2007-04.jpg
Olive Erko 2009-01.jpg
It is not a question of encouraging branches to grow lower. It has never budded below this lot of branches so I won't hold my breath for that option.
I discovered with this olive that you can't carve character in the trunk tho the carving started just to modify the large cut into a more natural 'lost branch' effect.

The bare trunk on the original tree has been reduced by almost half with the new first branch just above midway on the bare section... It's hard to tell that in the photos with no size comparison.

So what are your suggestions and remember... I have worked two years to get this foliage... I don't want to lose it - or no more than a smattering. This tree is not an aggressive grower and it is not a case of massive reduction to encourage new budding.

And if I plant it in a deeper pot it would look funny and out of proportion. So what is the best way to establish a new root system while retaining what I have developed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MelaQuin on January 27th, 2009, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: NEED ADVICE ON GROWING OLIVE ROOTS

Post by anttal63 »

hey this is a very easy solution for olives throw out new roots no prob. now if you simply did pot it deeper and forget aestheitcs for a while you will find it will send out roots higher up. having said that i would seriously think about a ground layer and use the skirt method that fly has demonstrated on his euc. the added flare at the base will round this tree off nicely. this is not a question of will it work. this is a piece of pie for an olive. ;) :D
Regards Antonio:
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

anttal63 wrote: ground layer and use the skirt method that fly has demonstrated on his euc. the added flare at the base will round this tree off nicely. this is not a question of will it work. this is a piece of pie for an olive. ;) :D
What he said!
Peter
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

You could use it for grafting stock...
I have seen people graft olives for short nodes. Don't know much about it (technically) however.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

olives take well to grafting. there's almost nothing an olive wont do. ;)
Regards Antonio:
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

anttal63 wrote:olives take well to grafting. there's almost nothing an olive wont do. ;)
Well, that's not completely correct. In Europe they do graft domestic olive that has larger leaves onto wild olive stock. The discussion I was reading had said they where having issues with grafting wild to wild and wild to domestic, but they dint say yet if they were successful.
I did kinda jump the gun a little.

You could do many things, try splitting the trunk and twisting, you could turn it into a multi trunk from the single trunk, try cutting out room for a few bits of thick wire and bend that way, the wound will heal over eventually...
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

who said, what article, what result? where there's a will theres a way. wether it is comercially viable is another story. :D
Regards Antonio:
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

wow, you have worked well with this one lee :!:

if you really want this one to root higher, definitely an air layer.

but did you think to thread graft :?:

i have seen great results from thread grafting.

good luck whatever you decide, you'll make the right decision :D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MelaQuin »

It has been suggested by a horticulturalist that I cut flaps around the trunk, insert stones, dust with hormone powder, bury deep and cross fingers. A wider base would greatly enhance this tree and take it from 'not quite there' to 'quite nice'. I've never done the propagating bit and it's a bit scary but I have to do something if I want to make something of this tree.

I've started olives from rootless but never with this much foliage - that is what puts the 'scare' in it for me. I like the thought of splitting the trunk, again that brings in a wider base which brings a greatly needed balance. What about a slplit trunk as well as flaps... that widens the base and encourages surface roots as well.

Thanks Antonio....
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MelaQuin »

And I'm glad no one commented on my wiring. I can and do wire well but often do a supremely casual job that gets the branch into position but would hardly allow it to be put on display. Hey, what the hell.... it works for the time it's there and that's what matters.
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

I'm not sure if this is the 'skirt method' mentioned above but I would advocate the tight wire constriction at the location where the roots are needed, which is covered and otherwise treated as an air layer or ground layer. A split plastic pot anchored over the site and filled with cuttings compost can be watered at the same time as the lower root area. This is my preferred method of layering anything. It results in roots all round and a thickening of the trunk base which is desireable.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

no stymie thats a normal ground layer. lee what has been reccomended to you is a skirt layer nothing to cross fingers about or worry. it will turn that tree a rippa! :D
Regards Antonio:
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MelaQuin »

I wish I had your confidence, Antonio, but having said that... a mate has a pair of splitters and I have set aside Sunday for the Day of Reckoning. Nothing will happen if I don't do something and now is good growing weather.

Thanks everyone....
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

no worries lee all good thats why im a bloke i gotm. :lol: now not to question you because i think splitting could be a good option also but is now the time to do that or winter i would have thought. :D
Regards Antonio:
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

MelaQuin wrote:I wish I had your confidence, Antonio, but having said that... a mate has a pair of splitters and I have set aside Sunday for the Day of Reckoning. Nothing will happen if I don't do something and now is good growing weather.

Thanks everyone....
The idea has been given, but whats your aim in splitting?
There are a number of options and reasons for splitting, you could split to heavy bend, split to create multi trunk, there are many reasons and final results that could be had.

Return to “Evergreen”