Hollowed out Olive

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Hollowed out Olive

Post by PeterW »

This Olive was collected in May 2007. It sat on my bench for 18months before i looked at it and then almost tossed it for being so ugly. I decided to try out a new cutter in my die grinder on it and it turned out allright (i think). I am starting on branches now and have pulled a back branch up to create an apex and will start to develop the side branches also. I LS the carved area and should have added some ink to tone it down but didnt and it is very stark, or it was very stark when applied. It is about 25cm tall but will probably finish about 35cm when it develops an apex. It is about 6 or 7 cm wide at the bottom of the trunk and flares out a little from there under the soil. As any of my trees, please feel free to comment or tell me what you would have done that may have been a better option or what you would do for its future.
Peter
Hollowed Olive before.jpg
Hollowed Olive deadwood.jpg
Hollowed Olive.jpg
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Re: Hollowed out Olive

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Looks very interesting so far.
Penny.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Needs a few years but i think it will be okay. Thanks Penny.
Peter
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

nice one pete will definately be a good one in the coming years :D
Regards Antonio:
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

anttal63 wrote:nice one pete will definately be a good one in the coming years :D
Thanks Ant, i hope so. Its nice to (hopefully) turn a piece of crap into something worth having. I have only been able to do that over the last few years really. Previously i found it very hard, i couldnt see the wood for the trees!
Peter
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

ahhh pete with each day the cloud lifts and the light is yonder :ugeek: :lol:
Last edited by anttal63 on February 5th, 2009, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hector Johnson »

Still seems to end rather abruptly, at the top.

Have you thought about trying to get some detail into the carving, similar to the old olives you see now and then from Spain?
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Hector Johnson wrote:Still seems to end rather abruptly, at the top.

Have you thought about trying to get some detail into the carving, similar to the old olives you see now and then from Spain?
Yes maybe Hector, but i am going to wait untill i have formed a crown or apex to see the image then. But sure, more carving may well be in order then. Thanks Hector.
Regards
Peter
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Peter, Tony Bebb came to WA a few years ago. To show some carving tricks. On olives mainly.
His main point was to get movement in the carving.
The part of your trunk that goes to the abrupt stop, could be carved in a curve so the tree moves to the right.
Just a thought as I see a lot of pontential in the tree. :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Pup wrote:Peter, Tony Bebb came to WA a few years ago. To show some carving tricks. On olives mainly.
His main point was to get movement in the carving.
The part of your trunk that goes to the abrupt stop, could be carved in a curve so the tree moves to the right.
Just a thought as I see a lot of pontential in the tree. :) Pup
Thanks Pup an yes you are right but i really dont want to rush into the carving of this one, i want to wait untill the apex has formed and then take another look at the carving.
Thanks for your comments Pup.
Peter
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I'd start training the right branch lower and keep the left branch where it is. Means a very low foliage pad on the right but will minimise the bar branching that could happen if you leave as it. But DEFINITELY NOT a discard.... this will be very nice in a couple of years.

I find that lime sulphur on my olives greys and silvers quite quickly, giving a very natural look of varying shades of greys. I tried the ink bit and did not like it at all. The tattoo parlour where I got the ink thought I was a bit of an oddity but they were friendly and helpful and it was fun chatting with them.

You definitely need to give character to that carving. How about creating an openness between the carving on the left and through to the centre? Make it irregular and etch some lines and grooves down the centre part. Carving shadows create the interest and give the illusion of age and a hard life in nature... this is all too smooth and doesn't show the work or worms and bugs and wind. .... get thy Dremel out and go for it.
Last edited by MelaQuin on February 5th, 2009, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

MelaQuin wrote:I'd start training the right branch lower and keep the left branch where it is. Means a very low foliage pad on the right but will minimise the bar branching that could happen if you leave as it. But DEFINITELY NOT a discard.... this will be very nice in a couple of years.

I find that lime sulphur on my olives greys and silvers quite quickly, giving a very natural look of varying shades of greys. I tried the ink bit and did not like it at all. The tattoo parlour where I got the ink thought I was a bit of an oddity but they were friendly and helpful and it was fun chatting with them.

You definitely need to give character to that carving. How about creating an openness between the carving on the left and through to the centre? Make it irregular and etch some lines and grooves down the centre part. Carving shadows create the interest and give the illusion of age and a hard life in nature... this is all too smooth and doesn't show the work or worms and bugs and wind. .... get thy Dremel out and go for it.

Yes the carving is definately boring at the moment but in time it will get developed (for the better i hope :? )
Thanks for your comments.
Regards
Peter
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

If your an adventurous type, you could try sand blasting :)
Young and hostile but not stupid.

Return to “Evergreen”