Luma apiculata

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Elias
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: 0

Luma apiculata

Post by Elias »

Anyone ever heard of Luma apiculata, I'm clearing a hedge with around 9 of these plants. I might have a go at bonsai a few for a bit of fun :D

The client let me take this one, a few weeks ago. I chopped it quite hard and it has come back quite well.
Luma potted.jpg
A couple of pics of the hedge.
Luma hedge 1.jpg
Luma hedge 2.jpg
So far I know its origins are from Chile and Argentina, very hardy,often used as hedge, fast growing, drought tolerant...

As far as bonsai use apparently its a bit experimental, according to this website.
http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/luma.html

Elias
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milehigh_7
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that will grow in 46C+ and 5% humidity
Bonsai Age: 17

Re: Luma apiculata

Post by Milehigh_7 »

Now mind you I live in the states but I have just ordered two and will be trying them soon. Brent Walston at Evergreen Gardenworks has this to say:
Evergreen shrub. Grows quickly to 6 feet then slows down. Dark green foliage, white flowers and dark fruits, characteristics that all resemble Myrtle. Flowers from mid-summer to fall. Older plants develop beautiful smooth creamy brown trunks that should be revealed. Fairly drought resistant. Should make a wonderful bonsai since it develops a thick trunk very quickly, and withstands container culture.

He is widely considered an expert in the field of horticulture and a leading voice in American bonsai.

Here is a link to the page where I copied the text from, just scroll down till you come to the Lumas
http://evergreengardenworks.com/juniperu.htm

He has said in another article that this species is vastly underused and he believes has great potential for bonsai.

So, I should know soon enough for myself but I would trust Brent's word over many others.

Return to “Evergreen”