Chainsaw grafting Olives

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Milehigh_7
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that will grow in 46C+ and 5% humidity
Bonsai Age: 17

Chainsaw grafting Olives

Post by Milehigh_7 »

ozzy wrote:When it comes to big cuttings I think you should just have a go, what have you got to lose, its all experimental, theres still people around that think i'm crazy when I tell them I've struck a 350mm Olive cutting, I tried a 150mm Hawthorn last year that didn't take but that hasn't convinced me that its not possible, half a dozen more go's might though but thats what it takes to finally know for sure.

350mm Olive! :mrgreen: If anyone has experience with large diameter Olive cuttings please post in detail your technique. Thanks!
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: Bottle Brush and honey

Post by ozzy »

I wouldn't say theres a technique to it, they're very obliging, you just find a big old olive thats been happily growing undisturbed for decades in the same spot and chainsaw the bastard off at ground level and put it in a plant pot, they'll positively love the experience, more than you will even ;)
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Here is a good website for chainsawing olives off as cuttings - he also does a mean trident construction.

http://www.dugzbonsai.com

Cheers,
Leigh.
Cheers,
Leigh.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Post by mudlarkpottery »

There is an article in a Canberra Club Newsletter about using a chainsawed olive cutting and growing it. I can't remember which month or year.
Penny.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

ozzy wrote:I wouldn't say theres a technique to it, they're very obliging, you just find a big old olive thats been happily growing undisturbed for decades in the same spot and chainsaw the bastard off at ground level and put it in a plant pot, they'll positively love the experience, more than you will even ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: you have such a way with words. :D
Regards Antonio:
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Chainsaw grafting Olives

Post by PeterW »

Cutting them off at ground level is the only way to go. I have lots of collected Olives and all are done this way. I look for the lowest position to safely make the cut and then when its out of the ground, take a better look and recut if need be. Lots of Olives have a big basel flare that doesnt really work for Bonsai so the lowest widest point isnt necassarily the best. I look for the best taper. Then, after that i throw them in my trailor and let them sweet it out for an hour or two whilst i dig more up, then take them home and clean them up and put them in a tub of either super thrive or rootone for about 3 or so hours. Have pots prepared, all i use for mix nowadays is straight diatomite. Then i place them on a bench were they can sit untouched for a few months and water them in with superthrive. I dont let them dry out to much and water them with seasol or superthrive or whatever i happen to be using at the time. I have lost a few this way but mostly they take off in no time. I do the same treatment for bougs, with no losses.
Good luck with them.
Peter
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nil

Post by Dave54 »

Hi Peter,
have been collecting olives for a long time but always dig them out with root.
Do you defoliate your cut stump before planting? and I am unfamiliar with your potting medium. Is it just a light potting mix or something specially formulated for cuttings?
cheers
Dave
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

G'day Dave,
I have posted this link in another topic but I suggest you check out DugzBonsai for an excellent Olive technique.

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nil

Post by Dave54 »

Thanks Steven,