Pinus Nigra

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Pinus Nigra

Post by Webos »

Anyone had much to do with this species? Picked a few cones up from the bottom of a Corsican Pine the other day...got hundreds of seeds out of them... Would love to know of anyones experience with them.
Edward Scissorhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie natives, Pines, Maples, Figs, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 21
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Pinus Nigra

Post by Edward Scissorhand »

Do you trade seeds? I bought a bunch of different seeds from ebay recently and am waiting for them to come through the mail. I figured you have hundreds of the same type, how about swap? Up to you, no pressure here, if you couldnt be bothered. Cheers Eddie
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Pinus Nigra

Post by alpineart »

Hi webos , if you managed to find the cones check out the area within a few hundred metres from the tree .Nigra's self sow quite easy i have been collecting them for many years.They are sprayed up here as they are almost a noxious weed in the plantations . .
100_3629.jpg
100_3630.jpg
100_3631.jpg
.My personal experience with Corsican and lodgepole is that not all cones are fertile, however if you consider growing from seed just Hoe and Sow . Simple turn some ground , scatter the seeds and hope they strike .You can waste a lot of time trying to grow infertile seed .If they are any good there should be wildlings scattered within a few hundred metres of the tree .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”