Potential Cypress Pine Dig

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Potential Cypress Pine Dig

Post by legoman_iac »

Hey All,

Noticed a development site near me, with 4 large Cypress Pines that are tagged to be removed ... is this something that's worth pursuing? All four trees are at least 5-8m tall, 5 years old+. Need to get permission, and access to assess further, just curious what the consensus would be?

a) grab them all
b) depends on each tree
c) don't bother

- Daniel
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Re: Potential Cypress Pine Dig

Post by tgward »

they would have to have some very interesting and very low movement
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

There are a number of species that are sometimes called cypress. Do you know what species these are?

Every dig should depend on the individual tree. Large straight trunks are seldom worth collecting. Trees with no low branches are seldom worth collecting (except maybe literati style)
Your idea of large could be different to mine but I really doubt that large cypress will be worth getting but that's just :imo:

I have not been successful with any of the things I know as cypress so be prepared for low survival rates if you go ahead.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

According to the report, they're just listed as "Cupressus sp. (Cypress Pine)" with trunk diamaters ranging from 200-375mm ... mmm, so maybe too big?! Curious what they say, and if I can get better access to the property, maybe some other trees available too. Thanks shniu and tgward!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

200- 375 is pretty thick. Allow about 3 times that for pot size = 600-1m diameter pots or boxes, possibly bigger initially as cupressus don't seem to like root reduction like trident maple. You thought that trident was too big!!!!
I think they would be much better as landscape transplants.
There could well be other better plants the owner/developer has overlooked - smaller shrubs that nobody bothers with.
Azaleas are great for bonsai. Older azaleas with thick trunks are even better for bonsai and azaleas transplant really well any time of year. Can be trunk chopped to bare wood and still sprout new shoots.
Most callistemon and melaleucas also transplant well and respond to trunk chop with masses of new shoots.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

I never heard back if I could get permission ... had emailed the aborist listed on the DA plans. Is there some rivalry between aborist and bonsai artists I'm not aware of??? Hehe.

Ah well, on a similar note, found another site, with a friendly owner, who says these trees, "Pencil Pines", are to be removed in January, and I can take them ... noting that these might not be as successful as other species, wonder if it's worth a try?

There's six trees, each vary in trunk diameter from about an inch to 3 inches, all about 2-3m tall.
20211114_212909_lowres.jpg
- Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi legoman, I doubt that they are "pencil pines" :shake: as they are not growing at all like pencil pines. I have a cypress which has very similar foliage and even though I can't remember which variety of cypress it was, it definitely wasn't a pencil pine. It 's doing well as a bonsai. If you can get enough roots to keep them alive they should be good to make into bonsai. Good luck.
Promethius
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything I’ve not managed to kill yet
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Promethius »

I agree with RB - that habitus is not particularly reminiscent of a pencil!
I think they’re fake cypress (Chamaecyparus). Sounds like transplant and hard prune are reasonably doable, from my brief Google. Depends if you like the tree enough to go through with it, I guess!
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Thanks for the feedback!

Fake Cypress?! Never knew such a thing existed, though must admit my knowledge of tree species is mostly confined to what I own, haha.

Ok, so ... "could work" seems to be the consensus? The price is right, and think they may not have a better home to go to. Might try and take the 2 smallest ones and see how they go then.

Thanks team!!!
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

It could be leylandi cypress I had dug up one straight trunk and all and pulled through. Using it more to understand how cypress behave and a bit of carving practice...good luck with the dig, it doesn't cost you anything but can give you valuable lessons and who knows might surprise yourself in the end too.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”