Scots pine

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Scots pine

Post by treeman »

20220520_162437.jpg

Inspiration - this kind of thing....
Yes a looooong way off. Only trees know how to make branches.
https://www.nts.org.uk/stories/now-is-the-time-for-pine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Scots pine

Post by dansai »

Nice start.

I assume you mean this tree
Image 26-5-22 at 9.53 am.jpg

Stunning tree and interesting article you linked to. It seems silly to me now, but I remember being in Scotland about 15 years ago and just thought the country side was naturally devoid of trees.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Its a welcome relief to see Mike growing pines like this.

Nothing more cringe worthy than seeing endless Pines or even worse, with our natives from 'expert' stylers on our social media sites, bending them into more Japanese green helmets. And the flood of applause from the public just perpetuates the cringe.

I always shake my head when I see the 'before' photo from these experts - and they're often so beautiful - transformed into a horrible cloud filled helmet.

Sad.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

dansai wrote: May 26th, 2022, 9:55 am Nice start.

I assume you mean this tree Image 26-5-22 at 9.53 am.jpg

Stunning tree and interesting article you linked to. It seems silly to me now, but I remember being in Scotland about 15 years ago and just thought the country side was naturally devoid of trees.
Yes that's it. My new favorite pine tree :mrgreen:
I think they cut them all down in Scotland. Good to see they are replanting.
Nice start.
Funny you say ''start''. This tree is over 30 years old already. Goes to show how long it takes to get anywhere. Just another 30 year now :lol:
Last edited by treeman on May 26th, 2022, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Rory wrote: May 26th, 2022, 10:39 am

I always shake my head when I see the 'before' photo from these experts - and they're often so beautiful - transformed into a horrible cloud filled helmet.

Sad.
Rory
As we have said before, it's easy to fall back on what you know and keep doing that. To venture away from that - full of unknowns, but much more interesting. If I had to keep going with the conventional. I'd probably give up bonsai. Having said that, sometimes you have to stick with the traditional because it's the most natural form for that tree. Eg, Japanese white pine.
Mike
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

treeman wrote: May 26th, 2022, 11:09 am Funny you say ''start''. This tree is over 30 years old already. Goes to show how long it takes to get anywhere. Just another 30 year now :lol:
Also goes to show you need to grow Bonsai, not create it!!
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I really like your "inspirational" image for this pine, it's got a fantastic presence and grandeur about it. I think anybody would be happy to develop a pine like that. I see a lot of almost horizontal and downward branching (somewhat reminiscent of your avatar) ... just wondering if this is part of your plan in developing this tree down the track. I know you said "it's a long way off" so maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Ryceman3 wrote: May 27th, 2022, 4:43 pm I really like your "inspirational" image for this pine, it's got a fantastic presence and grandeur about it. I think anybody would be happy to develop a pine like that. I see a lot of almost horizontal and downward branching (somewhat reminiscent of your avatar) ... just wondering if this is part of your plan in developing this tree down the track. I know you said "it's a long way off" so maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit.
The plan is to develop a nice dense crown - or crowns with all the branches above the horizontal. But you what they say about plans.
Actually this is a crappy variety for bonsai. Very coarse needles and big buds but I liked the colour. Wouldn't use this kind again
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

treeman wrote: May 27th, 2022, 5:34 pm
Ryceman3 wrote: May 27th, 2022, 4:43 pm I really like your "inspirational" image for this pine, it's got a fantastic presence and grandeur about it. I think anybody would be happy to develop a pine like that. I see a lot of almost horizontal and downward branching (somewhat reminiscent of your avatar) ... just wondering if this is part of your plan in developing this tree down the track. I know you said "it's a long way off" so maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit.
The plan is to develop a nice dense crown - or crowns with all the branches above the horizontal. But you know what they say about plans.
Actually this is a crappy variety for bonsai. Very coarse needles and big buds but I liked the colour. Wouldn't use this kind again
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

treeman wrote: May 27th, 2022, 5:34 pm
The plan is to develop a nice dense crown - or crowns with all the branches above the horizontal. But you know what they say about plans.
Mike

Return to “Pines and Junipers”