Big Squamata

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
BB Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Re: Big Squamata

Post by BB Brian »

Such a good read, and great progress!

I have not have much trouble with lower brands on Juniper dying, then again the balance of the tree is what comes to mind as the very few I have do have quite long low branches, some separating into 2 tier pads

Of recent, I did report a Buxus Harlandii during Spring and took off 75% of roots as I am told they are quite hardy, I have had some branches die back and after bringing my tree into class I was told to try Seasol every 2nd day to promote root growth, this was only 2 weeks ago, in the first instance I left the tree overnight in Seasol and every 2nd day now adding Seasol during my morning water - TBH I have not seen much progress but will have to see if the branches pull through out hot summers
"Ambition without knowledge, is like boat on dry land" - Miyagi
IG: @bonsaibuzz #bonsaibuzz
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Hi Ben, unusual just the one branch, just thinking out a loud here, if disease or bug/pests you would think more damage overall, I do see the wire is removed from the last image to this present image, I would have a good look in the collar of the joining branch and under or about for a crack or maybe a ring bark to the adjoining main trunk, sometimes the crispy/flaky bark hides a lot and with a not as strong lower branch sometimes and the energy can by pass these guys as they are very apical growers.....I m thinking more of a wound,...like I said just thinking out aloud here mate...I dare say you have checked already, but another thorough check dosen t hurt...cheers Anthony
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I can think of 2 things that can do this to just one branch while the remainder stays healthy.
1. damage after wiring: wiring and bending can occasionally cause the bark to separate from cambium and cause death of the section. I mention this because I note that this branch has been wired at some stage.
2. Shading: branches that don't get enough light get weak. As mentioned above, lower branches are already less vigorous so shading can compound the problem enough for a lower branch to die. Has that side been at the back or more shaded than the rest? Is the tree rotated every week or 2 so all areas get sun?

There's a faint possibility the dead branch is related to root problems. Not high chance given the rest of the tree is so healthy but there is sometimes a strong connection between one or a couple of roots and a particular branch. If those roots are compromised the branch can suffer. Were any larger roots removed at the last repot?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by benbonsai »

Thanks for all the replies and opinions.
After reading and thinking I’m leaning towards not enough sun/vigorous top growth over powering and maybe something to do with the root trim.

To try and remedy this I have trimmed the dead stuff off, pruned the top hard to try redirect energy and let light through the tree, moved to a sunnier location and will seasol every second watering.

Fingers crossed.

If all fails and I loose that branch, there is a branch on the first bend of the trunk that I was growing out as kind of a sacrifice branch which I can grow out to be a lower branch.

There is still hope.
Slow and steady wins the race
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

Hey there, been quite some time since I have been on here. Life gets in the way sometimes.
I have still been progressing my trees, not at the rate I would like but I’m still going. This squamata has by some miracle grown a branch on the first bend of the trunk to replace the one that died. Also repotted it so sit slightly lower in the pot. I also think the tree needs to be rotated in the pot a bit. Will do that next time. Also I think the pot is new, was in the grow pot still last time I posted.
Sorry for the bad photos, they never look as good in the photos and the photo was rushed.

Hopefully will be back on here a little more often.

Will be updating a couple other posts too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

A couple other photos from the time I wasn’t posting so you can see the progression.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Lovey stuff Ben.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

MJL wrote: March 14th, 2021, 1:34 pm Lovey stuff Ben.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
agree, nice little collection you've got going there. Thanks for chiming back in with the updates. :yes:
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

Update on this guy
Recently wired it fully, given it a good trim and selected some branches. Did a little work on the dead wood too. Also starting to compress the trunk further to get a smaller tree. Looks great with the clamps on :whistle:

Also some advice on how I might be able to heal/cover up the ugly cut mark at the back. I was thinking of growing a small juniper in the gap until it fills it. Not sure if that would work. The cut is at the back so it is hidden from the viewing angle but I know it’s there and would prefer it gone. Was from before I decided the make the deadwood when I cut the trunk to compress it.

Cheers guys
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

So after much deliberation and seeing where the tree started I have decided to remove some of the branches that cover the trunk so it is more visible. I think this is the right move for this tree. There’s been something bugging about it for a while and I think this is it.
Actually doing this work might take some time as I want to get it right. Will update when I decide to do it.

Thoughts?
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Nice work, thanks for the reports. Maybe move very carefully with cutting out foliage that covers the trunk at the moment - you may end up with a sort-of "hole in the middle" tree - all the foliage in a fringe around the edge. A year or two for the foliage to fill out will give you a few more options. Good luck!

Gavin
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

GavinG wrote: May 17th, 2022, 2:04 pm Nice work, thanks for the reports. Maybe move very carefully with cutting out foliage that covers the trunk at the moment - you may end up with a sort-of "hole in the middle" tree - all the foliage in a fringe around the edge. A year or two for the foliage to fill out will give you a few more options. Good luck!

Gavin
Thanks Gavin

I get what your saying, thanks for pointing that out. Will be patient and carful.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”