Big Squamata

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Re: Big Squamata

Post by Max »

002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:shock: Although very inspiring - Let's be realistic. I think a whole other tree may be favourable to achieve that pic.
At this stage I would stick to your plan & aim for your virt Ben. Re-bending again may be detrimental to the tree's health (especially since you've made cuts to the trunk to initially compress.)
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by benbonsai »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote::shock: Although very inspiring - Let's be realistic. I think a whole other tree may be favourable to achieve that pic.
At this stage I would stick to your plan & aim for your virt Ben. Re-bending again may be detrimental to the tree's health (especially since you've made cuts to the trunk to initially compress.)
Haha thanks, I was thinking bloody hell the bar is set high here :lol:
Slow and steady wins the race
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

Been a while since this has been updated
Has grown in quite a bit and the styling has changed a little.
I think It could be smaller but going to let it be for a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi Ben,
I went back and had a look at where you started with this and I think what you have created is really heading in a nice direction. I like the second last image in your latest post as the front, I would probably look at altering the potting angle next repot to avoid the base coming so vertically out of the ground. I think your styling of the foliage etc.. looks the goods. All in all, great job! :yes:
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Hi Ben,
Good to see you updating this one. I agree with Ryceman3 on the preferred front view. :yes:
If I can offer you any advice, it would be to work a little more on the "finish" of your jin tips. The blunt ends scream man made cuts & could look much more natural if tapered & worked a little more at the ends. This could be done using sandpaper or pliers splitting the wood at the tips.
Its only a small detail (but an important one in aiding refinement)
You are at an advantage, as the jins you have created are quite long - hence you have a lot to play with in the shaping &/or reductions.
Just my :2c: worth.
ben1.JPG
ben2.jpg
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

Thanks ryceman3
Yeah I couldn’t quite decide the front that’s why I uploaded a couple photos, but I was thinking the same.

As for the jins, literally haven’t done any work to them yet haha, I need to buy some tools.
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

Bought myself a rotary tool from bunnings last night to do some work on the jin.
Still needs a finer sanding and need to finish it off once I remove some wire.
Pretty happy with how well the tool sands down the deadwood.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum

Post by Boics »

Well done.
Slow and steady win's the race?
Nice little journey you have put together here now - good for you.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

Thanks Boics, its coming along nicely now. I feel I'm starting to understand bonsai more and more.
This tree is definitely not finished though that's for sure.

I have a few questions for the more experienced members.
I would like to get a bit of a game plan as such for this tree as I have had some bad luck (mainly due to inexperience) with having nice trees die when they are starting to become nice bonsais.
Im happy leaving it in the pot its in for a couple more years and to let it grow some now that I have the shape of the tree.
Any suggestions for direction and steps I should take to finish this tree are welcome... From here, what would you do with this tree?

1. How long should and could I leave it in this growing pot without root pruning or repotting? Or how often should I root prune and repot?
2. When its time to start getting it into a bonsai pot, how do I go about this? Reduce the roots little by little each year until it is able to fit into a pot? Should I be starting to reduce the roots now?
3. What time of year should I carry out said work?
4. If possible, I would like to try and add some width and taper to the trunk in the pot its in now. Can this be achieved? There is a small branch growing at the first bend in the trunk which I plan on leaving as a sacrifice branch so this will assist.
5. How can I promote back budding closer to the base of the trunk to create more sacrifice branches? I thought I read somewhere that nicking the bark can promote back budding, is this correct?

Any replies are much appreciated. I know that a lot of this info can be found by searching but I find that I sometimes read different answers. It would be nice to get clear info on my situation.

:reading:
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

Thanks for all the replies :lol:
I was also wondering what pot people think would suit this tree?
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers

Post by kez »

Hey Ben

Here’s my thoughts

1. It could stay in the current pot for a good while, at least another couple of years if you wanted. Regarding root work I don’t really bother with junipers, they aren’t really a tree that is known for nebari and for the most part produce heaps and heaps of fine roots. It is advisable to get rid of most of the soil that it is currently growing in and replace with whatever your desired media is when you come to either go to a training pot or a bonsai pot, and if in good health can pretty well bare root them

2. You can cut a significant amount off as a junipers strength is in the foliage, I would allow at least 12 months since the last major work though as while junipers take a bit of punishment the tree will languish in general poor health and not really do much for at least a season if too much work is done in too short a period. Repotting can be done in autumn or spring. I have taken as much as 3/4 off the root ball but the above must be taken into account. Remember repotting takes about an hour, but a years progress takes a whole year

3. See above

4. Again taper (like nebari) isn’t really a jumper trait, also how would you foresee it going? What about the first kink? Does it stop there or continue all the way up to the first branch? I don’t think increasing taper will add to the design and it will be hard done at any rate. You could split the trunk at the soil surface which will add width at ground level and aid in the look of anchoring the tree, or you could use shari, this will add width as the live tissue will grow and sweep around it.

5. Health, light and air. Juniper back bud readily when healthy but as to it occurring in a desired location???

As for a pot, round, maybe a drum?

Hope this helps

Kerrin
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mbunro »

All good answers from kez,
As for the pot I think either round or square, definately not rectangle or oval...

Maybe square with rounded edges.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mbunro »

Also, sorry but once i saw it, i had to do it.
No disrespect intended.
benbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by benbonsai »

Thanks Kez, your thoughts have helped a lot.
I think I will leave it in the grow pot for another year or two while I refine the foliage without any work on the roots.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”