THE PINE PROJECT

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
tgooboon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine & Ficus
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: THE PINE PROJECT

Post by tgooboon »

I found some in one small jbp when I repotted. But none in my others. I might try and spread a small bit on the top of soil of the ones I am not repotting this year and hopefully it takes hold

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Inoculating the soil works. When I purchased some pines off Tim the soil of his pines was replete with Mycorrhizae- which I was the able to distribute to other pines .... think about all the left over roots/soil that Ryceman3 had... indeed, prior to lockdown - Tim repotted another of his and gave me some of his leftover root offcuts so I could spread a bit more around. Once you’ve got some - you’ve got plenty ...assuming all other things are equal - plants healthy, good loose mix etc... you should be able to cultivate plenty from small beginnings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

More pine repotting, this time the red pines (and a few JBP, but just the JRP to show today). I'm pretty much out of potting mix which is kind of problematic given lockdown restrictions make getting more almost impossible. We'll see how I can make the mix I have remaining s-t-r-e-t-c-h...
JRP_0820_01.jpg
JRP_0820_02.jpg
JRP_0820_03.jpg
JRP_0820_04.jpg
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Pretty much a month after repot and the candle extension on these is ridiculous, well over 200mm for some. If this rate of growth continues I've got no idea where I'll keep them - they are filling in all the blank spaces on my racks.
JBP_CAN-04.jpg
In other news, the seedlings from the seeds sown last year are also moving for spring at a decent rate. They are by no means at the same level as my first batch were at the same time, but they are nice and healthy and looking good! :yes:
I wired up some a week or so ago, but the new growth that is extending is very fragile - so I managed to knock the tops off one or two, which I was pretty unhappy about ... until I noticed this today ...
JBP-NG_0920_01.jpg
Happy Days! :tu:
... and here's a few of the others ...
JBP-NG_0920_01B.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I often decapitate very young seedlings so they will make new buds from the lowest leaves. It is the only way I have found to reliably get shoots really low for sacrifice branches and for shohin trunks.
Not sure how big the bits that broke off but those young shoots strike really well as cuttings while they still have juvenile foliage.
I wait for the stems to change color and harden before wiring. Pines will still bend really well after the bark changes and are not so brittle at that stage.

Your first trees are maturing fast. The red tips at the top of your candles are female flowers.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

shibui wrote: September 10th, 2020, 5:24 pm I often decapitate very young seedlings so they will make new buds from the lowest leaves. It is the only way I have found to reliably get shoots really low for sacrifice branches and for shohin trunks.
Not sure how big the bits that broke off but those young shoots strike really well as cuttings while they still have juvenile foliage.
I wait for the stems to change color and harden before wiring. Pines will still bend really well after the bark changes and are not so brittle at that stage.
Thanks shibui, I know you have discussed similar before in other threads... but I'd never tried it and was kind of surprised to see buds pop so quickly at this time of the year. I would think this kind of work/technique would happen more in late summer/early autumn? I guess the growth is still juvenile so that may help to explain it. Sometimes a mistake can turn into a positive I guess. So why was I even wiring is a good question. The answer... I was bored, lockdown will do that to you!

In relation to the female flowers, I have a lot of these on a lot of the first batch of pines I did. Interestingly, I have no male flowers at all on any of my pines (I never have)?? I don't know why that is? :lost:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Thanks shibui, I know you have discussed similar before in other threads... but I'd never tried it and was kind of surprised to see buds pop so quickly at this time of the year. I would think this kind of work/technique would happen more in late summer/early autumn? I guess the growth is still juvenile so that may help to explain it.
If I want low shoots I decapitate as soon as the seedlings are large enough which can vary depending when they germinated but usually mid- late spring. Sometimes I can even get another lot of cuttings from the shoots that grow after an early cut. Autumn prune does not give them very long to grow before winter.
Juvenile pine shoots can do many things that more mature shoots cannot do and more accidents might even uncover other valuable information.
Rare plant Pat
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything Rare
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Rare plant Pat »

Hey Ryan,

funny that you have female flowers and no males. Almost all the ones you gave me have male flowers. Not a female flower in sight. Wonder if it's genetics or culture? I was a bit taken aback to see the flowers on plants so young - I thought they were early candles at first.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Rare plant Pat wrote: September 12th, 2020, 11:33 am Hey Ryan,

funny that you have female flowers and no males. Almost all the ones you gave me have male flowers. Not a female flower in sight. Wonder if it's genetics or culture? I was a bit taken aback to see the flowers on plants so young - I thought they were early candles at first.
Hey Pat... that is interesting. Environmental maybe? Where you are I would guess is a bit cooler (particularly overnight) than me. Dunno! :?:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Just a mid season update on a few pines in this "project" of mine. All are doing well and starting to kick into gear with summer approaching, it's a good time of year for pine development!
JBP DEV_1.jpg
JBP DEV_3.jpg
JBP Sml_1.jpg
JBP Sml_2.jpg
JBP Sml_3.jpg
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca

Post by Mitch_28 »

shibui wrote:I often decapitate very young seedlings so they will make new buds from the lowest leaves. It is the only way I have found to reliably get shoots really low for sacrifice branches and for shohin trunks.

With the cuttings, accidental or not, is there anything in particular to ensure success ( hormone, cover pot with plastic etc ) ? Or just cut and stick in some potting media?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Apologies for taking over the thread for a moment R3
With the cuttings, accidental or not, is there anything in particular to ensure success ( hormone, cover pot with plastic etc ) ? Or just cut and stick in some potting media?
Pine cuttings are treated just like any other. They are slow to root so will be far better with added humidity - clear cover or misting. I use clonex red hormone on cuttings. Seems to be better with the stronger concentrations if you can get it - red is the strongest in the clonex range.
Potting media is not the best for cuttings - too many diseases. Use inert propagating mix for cuttings.
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca

Post by Mitch_28 »

Thanks mate.

Sorry for deviation R3, didn't think about that.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Managed to get down to see my pines that I placed in the ground, they have been left to themselves for the last 5 months or so ... I have been discussing with the nominated "caretaker" what needed to be done based on descriptions. This basically involved water and throwing DL under them a couple of times. I had seen some pretty crappy photos but nothing like viewing something in the flesh to gauge development ...
JBP-PC_1.jpg
JBP-PC_2.jpg
JBP-PC_3.jpg
JBP-PC_4.jpg
JBP-PC_5.jpg
JBP-PC_6B.jpg
JBP-PC_7.jpg
JBP-PC_8B.jpg
I have about 3 JBP this size and another 3 that are a little smaller, but I can definitively say the growth rate on these in the ground is much more than those developed exclusively in pots ... in a perfect world I would've had a look at roots this year, but that wasn't possible, I might think about lifting them in autumn to see - otherwise definitely late winter next year.
I'll update the other pines I have in the ground when I get the chance, for now - just the JBP. I enjoyed the reunion!
Last edited by Ryceman3 on November 22nd, 2020, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nathan987
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by nathan987 »

Man, they’re looking great.

I love the idea of outsourcing ground growing and doing it remotely. I think we ha e our newest nurseryman (give it another 5-10 years).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Pines and Junipers”