THE PINE PROJECT

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: THE PINE PROJECT

Post by Ryceman3 »

shibui wrote: July 10th, 2022, 3:50 pm No sinkers in that batch of seed :crybye:
They were literally in for 10 seconds when I took the shot… I’ll give them a bit longer before I play around with them!
Seed is too hard to come by to give up without a bit of effort. Might be a low chance of success but having no seeds and planting nothing is less likely to produce anything. ;)
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Well done, I plant them all even the ones that sink, I have been surprised before. Nothing to lose ;)
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

KIRKY wrote: July 11th, 2022, 9:33 am Well done, I plant them all even the ones that sink, I have been surprised before. Nothing to lose ;)
Cheers
Kirky
Thanks Kirky… I’ll be planting them all regardless as you say. Last time the “floaters” surprised me too. As the saying goes “You’ve gotta be in it to win it!”
:beer:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

I was down in my "grow beds" on Sunday, and had planned to pull a few of the original pines from this thread up and move them on to the next step.
Here's a few of the JBP trunks as they have developed. I pulled up 9 pines in total (which was all the ones I have down there) but put 2 back as one of them had a base too big for the pots I had taken with me to put it in and then I actually ran out of mix to pot them up so 7 was all I could manage to bring back with me. I think there's a lot of potential in these and I am happy with how they have started to mature. I'll post some others as I get time to go through the pics.
4 years isn't so long in bonsai!
I also planted out a few of the smaller "Gen 2" JBPs in the place of the ones I pulled out just to keep the ball rolling.
JBP DIG IG_01.jpg
JBP DIG IG_02.jpg
JBP DIG IG_03.jpg
JBP DIG IG_04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Wow, you're doing well with those Pines!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

melbrackstone wrote: July 19th, 2022, 1:51 pm Wow, you're doing well with those Pines!
Thanks Mel. I quite like pines! :D :P
Here’s a couple of shots of a Japanese Red Pine I dug out. It turned out to be too big for the pots I took down to put the trees in so I replanted it in the bed. Depending on timing for my next visit I might take down a bigger pot and bring it home or just leave it to grow there for another season.
D1C5DF3F-7BF3-4D1D-9803-F937A17C740D.jpeg
9171F91B-5FC6-4500-A816-41F69294113D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeeBee73
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by LeeBee73 »

Wow… these are amazing. What a thread!!
Many thanks for all the time and effort, this is really the most amazing resource for growing pines I have seen for Australian climate. Very inspirational and much appreciated.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

The suspense was killing me with the neagari concept, so on the weekend I decided to pull it apart and see what was what. First time trying this technique out, and I would go back for another bite of the cherry, I think it was reasonably succesful ... but I might change a few things too to see if I couldn't get more "rambling" in the roots. The actual exposed roots part will get lifted quite a bit as the tree grows on, there's a lot still under the soil.
I haven't really stopped playing with the roots - I'm thinking about adding a twist to them all in a year ot two perhaps ... we'll see.
It's good fun, I think I like it.
JBP-Neag IG_03.jpg
JBP-Neag IG_01.jpg
JBP-Neag IG_02.jpg
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Ryceman3 wrote: August 15th, 2022, 12:21 pm The suspense was killing me with the neagari concept, so on the weekend I decided to pull it apart and see what was what. First time trying this technique out, and I would go back for another bite of the cherry, I think it was reasonably succesful ... but I might change a few things too to see if I couldn't get more "rambling" in the roots. The actual exposed roots part will get lifted quite a bit as the tree grows on, there's a lot still under the soil.
I haven't really stopped playing with the roots - I'm thinking about adding a twist to them all in a year ot two perhaps ...
How long had the tree been growing in that container before you exposed the roots? I've got one that's been going for 2 years now. I was thinking of waiting another 2 before I started exposing the roots
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Approximately 2 years. The tube was rock hard so completely full, I didn’t see the benefit of leaving them compressing together in there any longer. I could’ve gone to a bigger tube but I’m OK with where they’re at so left them to develop as above from here. Original post for the tree is on page 9 of this thread.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Checked on the seeds this morning. It will be 3 weeks on Sunday since I planted them, so we are getting in the ball park of the time I expect to see stuff happening ... and there appears to be a bit of action, about a half a dozen are beginning to emerge ... the process is going full circle!
Of the 60 odd seeds I soaked, 50 of them sank after 2 days, I planted them all though (separating the "floaters" and "sinkers") so we'll see how they compare. They went in the fridge (same technique as original) for about 3 weeks before I sowed them.
JBP-Sprouts_01 0822.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

45 seeds have germinated successfully, including 3 “floaters” so those were a definite bonus.
I sprayed with hydrogen peroxide a week or more ago to help avoid any onset of damping off. Never experienced it, but don’t want to start now so it was precautionary action.
I need to check my notes but I think that is well over 50% success, closer to 75%.
7D655325-09E1-48F9-82B5-82AA396AAA3B.jpeg
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

That's good. I'm still waiting for my seeds to show signs of life. They have been in close to 3 weeks I reckon ....
Mike
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

treeman wrote: September 18th, 2022, 5:46 pm That's good. I'm still waiting for my seeds to show signs of life. They have been in close to 3 weeks I reckon ....
Hitting the sweet spot now then (in my experience, but you’d know better than me)… should see some green in the next couple of days.
:yes:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Stem cut 36 of the seedlings (from seed) today… still a few to go.
CB01A83E-AD69-40A0-9B8B-C1B9E99F6C00.jpeg

Return to “Pines and Junipers”