THE PINE PROJECT

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: THE PINE PROJECT

Post by Ryceman3 »

End of summer update ...
E6D3FDDB-3C31-4072-B5D0-379551E82064.jpeg
638519B1-ECD1-43B1-A362-0F4728DB3AF7.jpeg
A919C33A-32D0-4DAF-8C45-666743EAB5E4.jpeg
There are a few others down there developing pretty nicely but I won’t bore you with photos of them all, here are a couple of others though.
52F6E5BC-FFBA-4B3B-85B2-F33BF2C7698E.jpeg
06046A01-0EE8-4335-A31B-1E4149FB4FAE.jpeg
I have put down some fert in preparation for more development over the next few months before winter. I’ll be lifting them and working the roots this year provided I have access. Happy with progress on these.
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Nice base & nebari spread on that "keeper" R3. :tu:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: March 1st, 2021, 5:13 pm Nice base & nebari spread on that "keeper" R3. :tu:
I’m looking forward to pulling them up so I can get a proper look. I feel like there are several “keepers” but that one is just the easiest to photograph given its position in the ground. It’ll be like Christmas in August with any luck!
:fc: :beer:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

I haven't done a proper update on the "non-JBP" pines for a while, so I took a few shots of them this morning to remedy that. These are the ones that are at my house, there are one or two of each that are ground growing too - I might get down and take a pic of those over Easter ... we'll see.
Note the black pots (and the other orange ones too for that matter) are 100mm tall (about 4 inches) to give you an idea of scale.
SCP_01.jpg
SCP_02.jpg
PNP_01.jpg
PNP_02.jpg
JRP_01.jpg
JRP_02.jpg
And because I was taking pictures ... here's most of the JBP that I have growing in pots that started out as seed in July, 2018.
JBP_01.jpg
JBP_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

These Austrian Black Pines were planted with the idea of creating a clump style out of them. Not much has been done with them (apart from some root work and leaving the tops to grow).
Today was the day to have a look at pushing this idea forward. Not really looking to create a finished silhouette, rather lay some foundations for movement in the trunks and get primary branching flowing.
PNC AB_2.jpg
PNC AB_1.jpg
PNC AB_3.jpg
PNC AB_4.jpg
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Have the trunks fused?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

terryb wrote: May 13th, 2021, 12:55 pm Have the trunks fused?
Not yet but I think it is only a matter of time ... they are very cosy with each other right now.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Here's one of the pot grown JBP I did a bit of work on today. This one is about average size for these kind, the base is probably just on 1" (25mm) at the soil line. Realistically I'm not sure if these will make the cut for my final entry in the "pine from seed" comp that spiked this thread, but I think they will still make great little trees and I thought I might show what my strategy is in developing them.
CP_1.jpg
CP_2.jpg
CP_3.jpg
CP_4.jpg
CP_5.jpg
In transitioning from the top sacrifice to the lower one as my next big move, I am looking for taper. The initial sacrifice, coming directly from the top helped thicken things up, but because it's from the top it thickens EVERYTHING below. With the lower one (blue) developing I should get thickening only BELOW where it joins the trunkline ... and therefore taper. We'll see how that goes ...
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by terryb »

Many thanks for the effort in posting this and very timely given I'm trying to decide whether to remove the sacrifice on one of my JBP :lost: Hope you don't mind a few questions.

Can I assume that your are going to be removing the sacrifice (pink line) and cutting back any longer branches needed for the final design late winter? I have read that removing the sacrifice in stages is somewhat beneficial to avoid all of the vigour hitting the smaller lower growth in one go. This may be dependant on how big the said sacrifice is but I would like to hear your thoughts on that. Finally what are you going to do with that bar branch opposite your new sacrifice? It looks like the trunk is starting to thicken there a bit already?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

terryb wrote: May 14th, 2021, 1:06 pm Many thanks for the effort in posting this and very timely given I'm trying to decide whether to remove the sacrifice on one of my JBP :lost: Hope you don't mind a few questions.

Can I assume that your are going to be removing the sacrifice (pink line) and cutting back any longer branches needed for the final design late winter? I have read that removing the sacrifice in stages is somewhat beneficial to avoid all of the vigour hitting the smaller lower growth in one go. This may be dependant on how big the said sacrifice is but I would like to hear your thoughts on that. Finally what are you going to do with that bar branch opposite your new sacrifice? It looks like the trunk is starting to thicken there a bit already?
Hey terryb,
I'll be looking to cut back the sacrifice in late winter as you predict. I think anytime over winter is most likely fine, but just before spring makes sense to me as growth begins to ramp up asnd so healing begins relatively quickly from the cuts. I'll cut back other areas then too, including that bar branch.
I have heard about the sacrificial branch being removed in steps. As you can see from the shots further away I have left weak buds along the sacrifice with this in mind. I've never done it but it makes some sense to me so I'll be giving it a go this year I think on a few trees. Whether I do it with this tree or not I don't know ... as you know I have a few pines of the same vintage so I'll do some in stages, cut some off completely and probably leave others alone to compare what happens with growth.
Hope that helps.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

I was back to the ground growing pines on the weekend, and took the opportunity to dig a few and see what was what.
I was very happy with the way the roots were growing, still a LOT of fine stuff up close to the trunks ... I think that is the result of creating a good base before letting them loose. I feel like I have timed it pretty well, another 6 months in the grow beds and I think these would be too big for what I am aiming to achieve ... they range in trunk widths of somewhere around 45 - 90mm, not including roots/nebari. I'll post a few shots of the digging process at some stage soon, but right now here are some pics of the 5 I potted up and brought back home with me. All I need to do now is figure out where I'm going to put them.
JBP Dig AB_01.jpg
JBP Dig AB_02.jpg
JBP Dig AB_03.jpg
JBP Dig AB_04.jpg
JBP Dig AB_05.jpg
In fact, all have too many shoots and an excess of needles, but I think I'll wait a few months before I thin them and cut shoots back to 2, no real rush on that.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by greg27 »

I love those sacrifice branches, like a pair of arms reaching to the sky... "I will be a BIG tree!" "oh you've chopped them off and I'm a bonsai"
Macros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm/Maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Macros »

Great work so far on the pines, inspiring work!!! :worship:

I tried growing 2 trees from seed well over 20 years ago. I bought them from the Australian or National Geographic store. One was a Pinus Radiata and the other was some form of Wattle that was labelled as grow your own Bonsai tree. Each pack had 1 seed, a small plastic container like a green house, growing medium and dynamic lifter.

The Pine never germinated :lost: but the Wattle did. sprouted as a little green miracle, until I added the dynamic lifter when it said I should. There must have been an egg or something in it as I checked it every second day and about a week after it sprouted, the sprout was replaced by a fat little caterpillar!
:palm: :palm: :palm:
Has it ever made you wonder, who was the first person to say " See that cow..... I'm going to pull on those pink dangelly things....and drink what ever comes out" ?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

greg27 wrote: July 5th, 2021, 6:32 pm I love those sacrifice branches, like a pair of arms reaching to the sky... "I will be a BIG tree!" "oh you've chopped them off and I'm a bonsai"
I absolutely hear what you're saying ... I kind of see this ...
JBP monster.jpg
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by greg27 »

Ryceman3 wrote: July 16th, 2021, 4:16 pm I absolutely hear what you're saying ... I kind of see this ...
:lol:

I can't unsee it!

Return to “Pines and Junipers”