THE PINE PROJECT

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Ibuki Tappai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: THE PINE PROJECT

Post by Ibuki Tappai »

Thanks for the reply :D
I am not so sure about it, but perhaps with "late hagari" someone means to select and remove certain couples of needles and reduce length of others (by half or similar) but it's just an opinion.

I've found not so good to try sow seeds in late august (late summer here) and now pines are germinated since then but suffering a 10% loss to pathogens that are not so aggressive in march-april (spring).

I sincerely hope to reach your results someday, even if it will be so hard.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I will wait updates :tu:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Ibuki Tappai wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 4:02 am I am not so sure about it, but perhaps with "late hagari" someone means to select and remove certain couples of needles and reduce length of others (by half or similar) but it's just an opinion.
Yes, you may be right there. I refer to this as "needle plucking" and it is common to do this to allow more light/air in. Cutting needles is sometimes used to help "even" energy distribution but (apart from perhaps on sacrifice branches) these are techniques that aren't as well used on pines that are in development... more in refinement. The main aim for most of my trees on this thread right now is to fatten the trunks as much as I can while preserving the lower shoots that will become the future tree. I am primarily doing this by using sacrifice branches and monitoring the growth of these to ensure they don't take all the energy at the expense of the low branches in close to the trunk. It is a balancing act.
Hope that explanation helps a bit.
:beer:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

More work done over the Christmas period on the JBP that were ground grown. They have re-settled into pot life very well so looked to prune and decandle some areas that I wanted to push back/compress the growth on and left sacrifices/thinned out for light/air flow in other areas where I wanted to continue development and encourage buds. It's a bit of a balancing act until I can get all areas developed enough that decandling becomes the way forward on the entire tree as it moves into "refinement". I'm quite happy with where things are heading on these. I'll be down to check on the remaining pines I have in the ground over the next week or so and look forward to seeing how they are going. They've been pretty much neglected since July ... should be interesting.
Also will need to get to the pot grown ones at some stage soon ... they are also in need of attention... aren't we all! ;)
JBP-DEV AB_2.jpg
JBP-DEV AB_1.jpg
JBP-DEV AB_4.jpg
JBP-DEV AB_5.jpg
JBP-DEV AB_7.jpg
JBP-DEV AB_6.jpg
JBP-DEV AB_10.jpg
JBP-DEV AB_9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Beginning to get to work on my pines this afternoon. There's a few of them.
The one I'm posting below is "JBP 1" from the post above.
I think all my cutting/wiring and whatever is starting to become a bit clearer now in terms of the end result I'm looking for ... hopefully!
I'll probably be putting up a few more in the coming days/weeks so those who are sick of looking at this thread, look away now!
JBP-CompA IG_02.jpg
JBP-CompA IG_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fae
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by fae »

Envious, love watching the progression.
Great base.
Fiona
bibimbap
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by bibimbap »

I'm always happy to see updates from your pine project and keep reading back. Hopefully I can start one of my own next spring (if I can get a hold of seeds). But I don't have space to put them in the ground. :(
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Here is some work from this morning.
I really like the base on this one, I think it has a lot of potential.

@bibimbap : Don't worry about the ground, its a "nice to have" not a deal breaker. IF you can get seed, pot growing has a lot of merit too.

JBP-CompB IG_02.jpg
JBP-CompB IG_01.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Had a go at another one this afternoon. This one is JBP3 from the earlier post in December (just for reference).
Not my favourite as I'm struggling a bit for direction, but the top view shows there is plenty of branching around the trunk, so I've kept it all until I can get a more solid way forward ... until then it can just keep growing.
JBP-Compc IG_02.jpg
JBP-Compc IG_01.jpg
JBP-Compc IG_03.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

I have been watching this cone develop over the last 12+ months, and a few others on some of my pot grown JBP. In the last week or so it is really starting to change to a purplish colour (a good indication it is nearly ready). I have no idea if there is any viable seed but I'll bag it in the next couple of days and we'll see what comes of it.
JBP Cone IG_01.jpg
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

Ryceman3 wrote: April 28th, 2022, 6:02 pm I have been watching this cone develop over the last 12+ months, and a few others on some of my pot grown JBP. In the last week or so it is really starting to change to a purplish colour (a good indication it is nearly ready). I have no idea if there is any viable seed but I'll bag it in the next couple of days and we'll see what comes of it.
JBP Cone IG_01.jpg
Wow. That is sweet!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

I realised I had updated a bit on the ground grown pines, but not those solely developing in pots, so here's a few pics of some of the JBP that have been 100% in pots from seed and a bit of a description of what my intentions are with them going forward.
Nowhere near the size of the other ones, but still developing pretty well I think.
JBP_Comp IG_1.jpg
JBP_Comp IG_4.jpg
JBP_Comp IG_3.jpg
JBP_Comp IG_2.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

In May, I harvested a few cones from the trees developed from my original pine seed venture that started this whole thread.
I decided to prep them for sowing today, so I extracted all that were still in the cones, cleaned them up and now have them soaking.
I'll be interested to see how many sink.
If I get a few to germinate I'll have pines from the seeds of trees that I grew from seed ... I'm satisfied with that idea.
JBPSeed IG_01.jpg
JBPSeed IG_02.jpg
JBPSeed IG_03.jpg
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Has it been worth it?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Daluke wrote: July 10th, 2022, 1:09 pm Has it been worth it?
100%
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

No sinkers in that batch of seed :crybye:
Sometimes surface tension will float a viable seed but more often the seeds are empty.
Try squeezing a couple between thumb and finger. Empty shells collapse relatively easy and are completely empty. Viable seeds have solid white inside.
Unfortunately I've found most cones on potted trees don't have viable seed.
:fc: :fc:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pines and Junipers”