THE PINE PROJECT

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: THE PINE PROJECT

Post by melbrackstone »

I'll keep updating a few of those that were "pot only" as well.
That would be great, ta~
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Jumping off the JBPs for a bit and back to an original Scots Pine. This one was in the ground, back into a pot in 2022 and then had an initial "styling" about this time last year I think? Anyway, time to revisit it. I gave it another workout yesterday and so this is where we are at right now. Thinking about a pot upgrade this year when the time comes.
:beer:
SCP-A IG_02.jpg
SCP-A IG_01.jpg
SCP-A IG_03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Ryceman3 wrote: January 7th, 2024, 3:52 pm So, the competition has been run and won...
Joining the party late (as usual) but congrats R3, and deservedly so. Have learned lots by following your progressions. Mine are getting there - slowly
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

The biggest JRP from the batch (ground grown one) with a bit of work on the structure today. I wedge cut the primary branch because I felt like it was emerging from the trunk at an awkward angle, looks a little better now.
The rest was thinned back a bit and wired out to maximise light/air and hopefully induce some back budding while everything extends and thickens to get better taper between the trunk and the branching.
JRP_WC 0224_02.jpg
JRP_WC 0224_03.jpg
JRP_WC 0224_04.jpg
JRP_WC 0224_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

An Austrian Black Pine (Pinus nigra) clump from some of the original seeds in this thread.
This was pretty much thrown together when they were about 1 year old and has developed/progressed from there.
The base is starting to meld into one pretty nicely and the trunks are definitely fusing together if they haven't already.
Today I gave it a second styling since going into a bonsai pot. It really needs a better matched ceramic/something to help sell the story I think, hopefully that can come in the next repot session.
PNP Clump 0324 IG_02.jpg
PNP Clump 0324 IG_01.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Did some work on this Japanese Red Pine today. It's from the original seeds in this thread ... taking the long way home!
Thought it was worth posting my progression theory for this tree.
I have been growing for thickness (only in a pot for this one, so slowly) with little thought to the branching up to this point. My main focus has been allowing the primary (central) trunk to extend and thicken as the initial sacrifice. Today I decided that had done enough for my liking and so it was removed to a group of buds I aim to develop and select one as the new trunk line. The drawback with the main trunk also being the sacrifice is that even though you get thickening, it is along the entirety of the trunkline and so any taper is therefore minimal.
With this in mind, while the initial sacrifice did its thing, I was also nurturing two more sacrifice branches (blue and red) with the plan to transition growth to these down the track. They will now be the focus in terms of developing thickness and with any luck adding to the taper of the trunk as thickening will primarily occur along the trunk below where they branch out. I actually think they have already helped with this as they initially developed.
Hopefully the pics below help with the explanation.
JRP Chop IG_01.jpg
JRP Chop IG_02.jpg
JRP Chop IG_03.jpg

NOTE : the second cut (below the blue sacrifice) was just cleaning up a stub to begin healing.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

... and another more standard JBP getting a clean up today. Also an exclusively pot-grown tree which I think in a year or two should make a pretty impressive little shohin.
JBP-F IG_02.jpg
JBP-F IG_01.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Another clean up today, this time the neagari attempt. It's an interesting one ... just starting to fill in, it was decandled in December (after the repot last year).
As the ramification starts to develop from this point it should begin to come into its own.
JBP_H IG_03.jpg
JBP_H IG_01.jpg
JBP_H IG_02.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Got around to one of the ground grown OG trees this afternoon.
Still needs some tweaking of branch position, but to be honest it was getting cold and I was running out of light!... winter is coming!!
I like this one a fair bit.
JBP-J IG_02.jpg
JBP-J IG_01.jpg

Return to “Pines and Junipers”