THE PINE PROJECT

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Beech92
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: 7

Re: THE PINE PROJECT

Post by Beech92 »

Interested to know if you plan on keeping all those ground grown pines?
Some high potential material right there :tu:
Regards Daniel.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Beech92 wrote: August 24th, 2021, 6:39 pm Interested to know if you plan on keeping all those ground grown pines?
Some high potential material right there :tu:
In short… yeah I plan on keeping them all for now. The main driver behind developing all these pines was a comp which involved developing JBP from seed over a 6 year period. I’ll need to move some on at some stage (again) as spatial constraints dictate, but it won’t be the front runners in the comp I grew them for. I like the pot grown ones almost as much though, not as far along in terms of girth but at least as good in other ways… if I had the room they would all hang around for a bit longer.
:beer:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

In the name of "completeness" I have got around to posting some photos of the repotting I did on the Austrian Black and Scots Pines a couple of weeks ago. These aren't as vigorous growers as the JBP, but there is definitely progression occurring ... just a little more patience required.
First up, the Austrian Black Pines.
PN-RP AB_1.jpg
PN-RP AB_2.jpg
PN-RP AB_3.jpg
PN-RP AB_4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Followed by The Scots Pines. The pictures for these and the Austrians above are examples, I repotted about 6 of each type and these were about average in terms of development for the species.
SCP-RP AB_1.jpg
SCP-RP AB_2.jpg
SCP-RP AB_3.jpg
SCP-RP AB_4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Markis114
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Markis114 »

Ryceman3 wrote: August 16th, 2019, 1:44 pm More repotting today - this time Japanese Red Pine and some Scots Pine.
Again, for comparison I have included shots of the stem cut vs traditional root prune trees. The JRP were in a similar state to the JBP in terms of root ramification and growth, so I was very happy with these in both forms of root work ...
IMG_4577.jpg
IMG_4578.jpg
I think I actually took a little more off than that before I repotted but as you can see the spread was pretty sweet so a good outcome here.

IMG_4579.jpg
IMG_4580.jpg
Again - nice spread and a pretty finely ramified set of roots, lots to work with there. :yes:

As for the Scots Pine I found the roots on the 10 or so I repotted to be the coarsest and less ramified of all the pines I am growing. There was lots of long root extension and less roots (but thicker) than the others, so after being spoilt with the others I was a bit "meh..." with these. Nothing disastrous by any stretch but there is more work to be done to get them more "bonsai" under the soil.
IMG_4582.jpg
IMG_4584.jpg
I really cut back a lot harder on these to encourage those roots to ramify. I thought I took a pic of a traditional but it appears not ... :lost:
I still have more to do so will get one when I get around to them. Unfortunately at the moment I am in the middle of a rain delay (and I have a work deadline looming) so might be a few days away. I have a lot of candle extension happening so I want to get onto it sooner rather than later.
Too much to do!
I like your bonsais. Yes, the root system is pretty good. I'm just a beginner in this business, I guess I'm doing everything right))
Jim Rohn www.worktime.com/
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment."
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

It's been 7 weeks or so since I dug up the ground grown pines, and with candles extending and generally looking healthy I thought I would put some work in again today. Trunk girth is pretty much at the size I want, so to rein that in I am removing the sacrifices and thinning out to something more structured and to let light in to ensure health in the shoots remains. The aim from here is to get on with building a good branching structure, so it's a change in direction/focus for these ones. Here's the first cab off the rank.
JBP Comp AB_4.jpg
JBP Comp AB_3.jpg
JBP Comp AB_1.jpg
JBP Comp AB_2.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Another one that I had a look at ... same methodology as the first.
JBP Comp B AB_4.jpg
JBP Comp B AB_3.jpg
JBP Comp B AB_2.jpg
JBP Comp B AB_1.jpg
JBP Comp B AB_6.jpg
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Ryceman3 wrote: September 2nd, 2021, 3:54 pm JBP Comp B AB_6.jpg
Oh man thats so fat. And i love a fat base. Ive been trying to develop similar material but your way ahead where I'm at. killin it mate :tu:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Finished cutting back the ground grown pines this morning, just a photo with all 4 to keep this thread up to date.
Think the one far right in the photo is my favourite right now.
JBP Comp-ALL AB.jpg
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Ryceman3 wrote: September 9th, 2021, 12:46 pm Finished cutting back the ground grown pines this morning, just a photo with all 4 to keep this thread up to date.
Think the one far right in the photo is my favourite right now.
Nice compact growth R3
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Looking good!

What’s the bonsai hieroglyphic. Down arrow - planted? Up arrow - lifted?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Daluke wrote: September 9th, 2021, 1:56 pm What’s the bonsai hieroglyphic. Down arrow - planted? Up arrow - lifted?
Kind of… basically it stands for “into the ground”, followed by “back into” a pot.
It’s really just my own shorthand that helps me to keep track, there’s nothing scientific about it!
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Post by BirchMan »

So, let me get this straight. They're about 3 years from seed...
Phenomenal result.
Ibuki Tappai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Ibuki Tappai »

Hi, I am a newbie that started with JBP's seeds in march, started following this thread because it's so interesting and informative.
Your results are outstanding :worship:

On a spanish channel someone showed results of double mekiri, telling me depends on various factors (a hint gave to me is do late hagari) and in a distant future will try for sure, in my actual country (northern Italy, don't know if its possible).
Since you've shown a great ability with cultivation, does anybody have tried to do mekiri 2 times in a single season? Thank you! :D
Last edited by Ibuki Tappai on September 19th, 2021, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Ibuki Tappai wrote: September 19th, 2021, 7:45 pm Since you've shown a great ability with cultivation, does anybody have tried to do mekiri 2 times in a single season? Thank you! :D
Hi Ibuki,
Sorry ... just saw this post so aplogies for the delayed response.
I haven't tried to decandle (mekiri) twice in one growing season. I believe it is possible, but in my climate I think this would not result in a favourable result over several growing seasons. Maybe in places where it remains hotter for longer this might be a viable option. I do get a double flush of growth on black pines that are not decandled (in development) quite frequently.
I'm not too sure how hagari relates ... my understanding of hagari relates to defoliation ... a process that isn't possible on pines.
Hope that helps.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”