JBP - Always Be Wiring

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

JBP - Always Be Wiring

Post by Matt S »

I've been wiring like a madman the last few weeks, mostly pines and junipers in an attempt to bring a few of my trees under control and push them to a better standard i.e. stop stuffing around and wire every branch and do it properly.

This JBP is a prime example. The main branches were wired about 3 years ago and since then I've just been concentrating on getting the whole needle reduction process happening (I'm relatively new to the proper techniques for pines :whistle: ) but now I'm thinking it'll be ready for a proper pot in a few years so let's get it looking nice.

It took about 4 hours to wire the whole thing, luckily I enjoy wiring!
JBP May 2019 before wiring.jpg
JBP May 2019 after wiring.jpg
Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: JBP - Always Be Wiring

Post by Ryceman3 »

Matt S wrote:stop stuffing around and wire every branch and do it properly..
Yeah ... it really does make a big difference doesn't it - your before/after images are proof of that. It takes a long time but it is time well spent. Your pine is looking the goods because of it!
:yes:
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

Sit back and look what you have acheived! This is why bonsai gives you pleasure
...........OK
.... that is enough sitting back
....find another tree to work on.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I agree that wiring is important to make those fine adjustments to the layout of the branches and sub branches though maybe you have spread the lowest branch out just a bit too much for my tastes. I've noted that international bonsai headliners tend to 'stack' some of the finer branches to build up some density in the pads. ie cross some smaller branches over into the centre of the branch. Spreading everything out wide leaves the middle of the branch open and bare.
It took about 4 hours to wire the whole thing, luckily I enjoy wiring!
Now imagine your tree in a couple of years when ramification has doubled. Seems like a great thing to have really advanced trees but I'm finding it can take hours just to prune. Wiring a really well advanced bonsai is sometimes spread over a couple of days :roll:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt S »

This is why bonsai gives you pleasure
...........OK
:lol: Correct on all counts!
Now imagine your tree in a couple of years when ramification has doubled. Seems like a great thing to have really advanced trees but I'm finding it can take hours just to prune. Wiring a really well advanced bonsai is sometimes spread over a couple of days
The time spent wiring this tree was spread out over a week. I have young kids so I either wait until they're asleep or get in early before they're awake. I'm really tired.

Your point about the time needed for advanced trees is a good one. When you spend a whole day needle plucking an advanced tree you soon realize you have to manage the number of trees you look after. Occasionally we all have to make hard decisions about trees we've had for a long time and think about how much time we're prepared to spend on them.

Matt.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Matt S wrote:
This is why bonsai gives you pleasure
...........OK
:lol: Correct on all counts!
Now imagine your tree in a couple of years when ramification has doubled. Seems like a great thing to have really advanced trees but I'm finding it can take hours just to prune. Wiring a really well advanced bonsai is sometimes spread over a couple of days
The time spent wiring this tree was spread out over a week. I have young kids so I either wait until they're asleep or get in early before they're awake. I'm really tired.

Your point about the time needed for advanced trees is a good one. When you spend a whole day needle plucking an advanced tree you soon realize you have to manage the number of trees you look after. Occasionally we all have to make hard decisions about trees we've had for a long time and think about how much time we're prepared to spend on them.

Matt.
That's the main reason I sold off a lot of pines . Between 2 jobs, a hobby farm , wanting to travel overseas more I simply didn't have the time and lost interest . If you really have the time to put into pines they will reward you but if you let them go bringing them back can take a lot of time.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I'm going - or trying to go - in the opposite direction. That is - trying to learn how to avoid wiring. It is very difficult!
Mike
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt S »

I'm going - or trying to go - in the opposite direction. That is - trying to learn how to avoid wiring. It is very difficult!
Must be particularly hard with pines, so much upward growth!
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Matt S wrote:
Must be particularly hard with pines, so much upward growth!
Yes. But what I mean is that I'd like to wire (or shape) in such a way that you cannot tell the tree has been wired. Also, to leave branches growing in more or less the direction you want unwired instead of wiring every twig which gives the inevitable results.. To use hard cutting as a means to get sharp or angular directional changes which is common in natural pines but impossible with wiring. To use the natural movement of branches as a foundation rather than forcing a new artificial one. Unfortunately with these methods it's often 2 steps forward and one back - and of course no one I know of who I can copy because no one does it.

An example..
This is a small scots pine and below one possible future for it. That would involve sever needle reduction and fining out of the twigs which in turn would require keeping the tree half starved and repotting infrequently.
20180714_163048 - Copy.jpg
5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by treeman on May 10th, 2019, 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mike
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt S »

Mike, I always admire the way you never rest on your laurels and continually push yourself hard.

Cut and grow produces the most natural movement, but I guess the time involved puts a lot of people off. We want to be Mr. Miyagi with our scissors rather than cutting back hard with secateurs.

Matt.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

JBP - Always Be Wiring

Post by MJL »

This observation is somewhat tangential to the current discussion but it took me a good few minutes to understand the relationship to the drawing and the actual tree.

Call me slow.

I’m thinking: “I would not expect Treeman to copy an ancient drawing - take inspiration from art for sure - but copy? Hmmm.“

Then I think:

“Man that’s a good copy that Shari is almost an exact replication.”

Near impossible... And the I look at the date on the drawing:

“Ah! The drawing is from 2018 younger than the tree; the drawing is of tree - at least the current and a possible future canopy”

I’m slow.

Bloody hell - cool to be able to put your mind’s eye to the future on paper like that.

I’m somewhat envious. Again.

How is it that people can have the talent in the art of bonsai, the science horticulture, creativity and the skill to draw.

There are a number folk on this forum with that combination of skills (and of course more) and all of the folk that I see with such a mix are leading exponents of this ancient art. Interesting....

Bummer. I can draw for sh!t and I’m no horticulturalist.

Oh well. I’ll keep an open mind, feed my desire to try different techniques and I’ll continue to learn. No doubt there’ll be some raging failures and the odd success along the way.

By the way. Both cool trees.
There should be little doubt that both the trees will become great as the years progress because the skill of the artists involved.

Enjoy your Saturday everyone.

PS - I also enjoy understanding the provenance of a tree. Imagine that tree passing through generations of family or whatever form of custodianship and along with the tree go original drawings etc...

Cool.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by MJL on May 11th, 2019, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Matt S wrote:Mike, I always admire the way you never rest on your laurels and continually push yourself hard.

Cut and grow produces the most natural movement, but I guess the time involved puts a lot of people off. We want to be Mr. Miyagi with our scissors rather than cutting back hard with secateurs.

Matt.
True that.
Mike
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

One of the statements that has stuck with me from Ryan Neil's live series is that the Pines really only need heavy work a couple of times a year, whereas many other species need constant attention for months at a time.

I guess this is a good reason to have more Pines and less needy plants if you're looking to reduce your involvement with your trees?
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Matt S wrote: stop stuffing around and wire every branch and do it properly.
Hey Matt,
here is a JBP shown at the 1979 Kokufu. Don't think the styler shared your same thoughts?
1979 pinus thunbergi.jpeg
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:
Matt S wrote: stop stuffing around and wire every branch and do it properly.
Hey Matt,
here is a JBP shown at the 1979 Kokufu. Don't think the styler shared your same thoughts?
1979 pinus thunbergi.jpeg
That tree has been wired a LOT and often!

Here is one which has not....Mind you it's much more difficult if not impossible to get this kind of detail in a black pine, but wiring this tree would quickly destroy it.
natbonb.JPG
Last edited by treeman on May 11th, 2019, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Return to “Pines and Junipers”