The Pine Project - Offspring

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: The Pine Project - Offspring

Post by MJL »

Keels wrote: July 14th, 2020, 5:15 pm Those pines are looking really good Mark. I think your brave repotting now but Melbourne weather must be different? Is it warming up a little there?
G'day John, big fella - it is not warming up down here yet. It is just that I reckon the risk is very low. I do not think I will get frost damage nor will they be too wet. I don't get frosts in my courtyard (even with big Chinese Elm gone) - it's actually a relatively warm environment. (For example, my trident forest has not lost any leaves yet - which may (or may not) reflect the protected environs). Further, the new mix is much coarser, free draining. If anything the roots would have been wetter in the existing mix so I do not think there is any danger of rot. Lastly - I didn't do heaps of root cutting - sure I spread the roots better - indeed, I untangled heaps and I am really happy with the spread in nearly every pot. So I did something slightly more than slip-potting - but not a heap of disruption.

Mate, I'll kick myself if I got it wrong - going early like I have - but I wanted to get ahead of the August/cum-Spring re-potting curve - so took a calculated gamble. Plus - it's not like I am taking a chance on any mature stock. :fc:

Hope you're well.

Cheers,

Mark
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

MJL wrote: July 14th, 2020, 6:01 pm
Keels wrote: July 14th, 2020, 5:15 pm Those pines are looking really good Mark. I think your brave repotting now but Melbourne weather must be different? Is it warming up a little there?
G'day John, big fella - it is not warming up down here yet. It is just that I reckon the risk is very low. I do not think I will get frost damage nor will they be too wet. I don't get frosts in my courtyard (even with big Chinese Elm gone) - it's actually a relatively warm environment. (For example, my trident forest has not lost any leaves yet - which may (or may not) reflect the protected environs). Further, the new mix is much coarser, free draining. If anything the roots would have been wetter in the existing mix so I do not think there is any danger of rot. Lastly - I didn't do heaps of root cutting - sure I spread the roots better - indeed, I untangled heaps and I am really happy with the spread in nearly every pot. So I did something slightly more than slip-potting - but not a heap of disruption.

Mate, I'll kick myself if I got it wrong - going early like I have - but I wanted to get ahead of the August/cum-Spring re-potting curve - so took a calculated gamble. Plus - it's not like I am taking a chance on any mature stock. :fc:

Hope you're well.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark, i'm doing well apart from a sore back from re-potting a couple of trees this afternoon. :tu: I like how you spread the roots more, that will pay off in the long run. I reckon you'll be pretty safe if you didn't remove much roots. I attended a pine workshop couple of weeks ago and they suggested that we shouldn't repot til August/September in Canberra..... But i wonder if doing what you have done will give you an advantage in spring growth over my pines of similar age :lost:
tinto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pine
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: sydney

Post by tinto »

getting a good growth rate on these babies
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

The pines are in a good spot here - well as good as my little plot will allow. Full sun. My plan is to let them ground grow for three years now - by that I mean letting the roots escape the pots into the ground. My understanding - perhaps mistaken - is that I lift the pots once per year - probably in Winter to trim the roots back - that have escaped the pots. This will enable me to rotate and wire too. Further - I should be able to work the tree - bud selection, candle cutting, decandling etc .... insitu. I think.

I feel these are off to a good start ... Of course, I am learning about pines - so any advice welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Last year around Christmas time I removed two small branches from the second whorl of one of the JBP. I dipped them in hardwood rooting gel (8mg/ml IBA) and placed the cuttings in coir/perlite medium in the mini greenhouse. One of them rooted and I repotted it yesterday. Not a great radial spread of roots but another tree to play with anyway.
20200909_172843.jpg
20200909_173029.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Cheers for the update Terry.
offspring of offspring - the R3 generations begin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

terryb wrote: September 12th, 2020, 12:22 am Last year around Christmas time I removed two small branches from the second whorl of one of the JBP. I dipped them in hardwood rooting gel (8mg/ml IBA) and placed the cuttings in coir/perlite medium in the mini greenhouse. One of them rooted and I repotted it yesterday. Not a great radial spread of roots but another tree to play with anyway.
Very cool terryb!
Always nice to see what people are up to, congrats on the new pine! :yes:
MJL wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 5:22 pm The pines are in a good spot here - well as good as my little plot will allow. Full sun. My plan is to let them ground grow for three years now - by that I mean letting the roots escape the pots into the ground. My understanding - perhaps mistaken - is that I lift the pots once per year - probably in Winter to trim the roots back - that have escaped the pots. This will enable me to rotate and wire too. Further - I should be able to work the tree - bud selection, candle cutting, decandling etc .... insitu. I think.

I feel these are off to a good start ... Of course, I am learning about pines - so any advice welcome.
Hi MJL, I think I missed this post earlier but your setup looks pretty reasonable to me. I’ll be keen to see how these advance, as you know there’s not a lot of room for ground growing at my joint so those I have here will be strictly in pots so good to compare... :) ... of course, I do have a bit of space I’ve infiltrated in the in-law’s garden although at the moment who knows what is going on there! Haven’t been there for months, and no chance it’ll happen any time soon either. Might need to FaceTime my pines! :P
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by terryb »

Time for a mid-season update. Summer has been mild here in Adelaide so far but the pines don't seem to mind. All appear to have progressed since my last update. Excellent growth on the JBP this year with the top candles of the first flush >50cm. Waiting to see if they push out for a second flush. The third JBP (not shown) is doing equally well but it has rooted itself in place and I couldn't move the pot for a photograph
JBP_28i21.jpg
Austrian_28i21.jpg
scot_28i21.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

Nice stuff. What are your thoughts terryb when it comes to comparison between colander and traditional black plastic pots in relation to development rates?
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by terryb »

Hey R3, not sure I have a definitive answer on that one. I have a number of JPB in colanders and they grow really well but the ones in plastic pots seem to grow well also. I am just trying what I have seen online. Will be interesting to see the roots after a couple of years in the same container.

Happy to hear the experience of other growers on this site.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”