JRP#1 [Ryceman3]

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

JRP#1 [Ryceman3]

Post by Ryceman3 »

Here he goes again ... another pine ... I know... :roll: ... but anyhow

This is a Japanese Red Pine I got recently from Bonsai Sensation. One of the most interesting things about it is the foliage turns a very bright yellow in winter and shifts back to a more regulation green in spring/summer. It's only a small tree, standing at just over 250mm or so. I really like the trunk movement and taper - plenty of interest from lots of directions. The main issue with it was the junction where the majority of the branching originated from was starting to swell and create reverse taper. It was time to get on top of that before it turned into a big flaw, so today I took it down a new path to address that issue.
IMG_1379.jpg
IMG_1386.jpg
I plan to repot it (same pot, but new soil) and then if all goes well and it shows good health over spring I will look to decandle it with my JBPs this summer. It has never been decandled and the needle length measures about 110mm so I'll be looking to significantly reduce that which I think will help to really define the shape ... it's a bit wishy washy at the moment with big hairy foliage blurring the silhouette.

In any case, I think I made a bit of progress on this today - and my "helper" was impressed enough to hop in a photo with it...
IMG_1389.jpg
Let me know what you think!
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Re: JRP#1 [Ryceman3]

Post by Daluke »

Great looking tree.

Fantastic changes.

With a bit of sunlight it’ll be green in no time... just not as deep as the black pine.

Luke
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

R3 - truly excellent changes. Well done. :tu:

I absolutely love that last photo too - just sensational with the cat. :tu2:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Seeing as the foliage turns yellow in winter and then green in spring/summer, why is it called a red pine? :lost: :lol:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I remember Tien had a few young ones of these a couple of years back and i was intrigued with the change of needle colour. I haven't seen them since!

You've made good changes here, the before pic was a bit 'nowhere' in terms of direction for a future tree, the after you can see where the development will come through over the coming years. I'll be interested to see how it responds to work, and how vigorous it is compared to a straight species
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

p.s. Nice tree. You obviously saw the potential in this tree and I think that you won't have many problems into making this into a great tree. :yes:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Daluke wrote: August 15th, 2019, 4:41 pm Great looking tree.

Fantastic changes.

With a bit of sunlight it’ll be green in no time... just not as deep as the black pine.

Luke
Cheers Luke,
Yeah ... looking forward to the green foliage, I saw photos of it and have watched a few needles change in the last week or so. I’m keen to see what I can make from this tree.
MJL wrote: August 15th, 2019, 7:20 pm R3 - truly excellent changes. Well done. :tu:

I absolutely love that last photo too - just sensational with the cat. :tu2:
He’s not normally that still my right hand man. You might notice the pic with him in it is slightly blurry - I was keen to get the shot because he doesn’t stay in one place for long. Couldn’t do bonsai without him, keeps me on my toes! :P
Raging Bull wrote: August 15th, 2019, 7:24 pm Seeing as the foliage turns yellow in winter and then green in spring/summer, why is it called a red pine? :lost: :lol:
I actually thought about making the title of the thread
“The Yellow Red Pine that goes Green”
so I know what you’re saying...
:yes:
TimS wrote: August 15th, 2019, 7:25 pm I remember Tien had a few young ones of these a couple of years back and i was intrigued with the change of needle colour. I haven't seen them since!

You've made good changes here, the before pic was a bit 'nowhere' in terms of direction for a future tree, the after you can see where the development will come through over the coming years. I'll be interested to see how it responds to work, and how vigorous it is compared to a straight species
This was the last of that lot I think Tim... I was looking at it and Tien said “Get it while you can!” I have no other JRP at this stage so I won’t have much to compare it to in terms of vigour. It’s a bit of fun and I will give it every chance to become something good. Tien said the needles reduce well so we’ll see how I go. Thanks for your input. :yes:
鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Korean Bonsai Association

Post by 鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai »

When they mature the bark turns Red. That's why they are called a Red Pine. I just worked on a Yamadori today. By far my favourite species. You tree looks great just do me a favour and pluck those needles on the branches.
Go to gamauji.weebly.com and click 'discover'
. You can see before and after red pine pics. Once again well done. You have a good eye
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai wrote: August 15th, 2019, 9:37 pm You tree looks great just do me a favour and pluck those needles on the branches.
I plucked some from what it was but since I plan to repot and am then looking to decandle this summer I wanted to keep as much foliage as possible this year so as not to slow it down. I know what your saying but my feeling is to err on the side of caution, feel it out for a year and then next year look to neaten the whole thing up. I don’t have another JRP like this so I’m maybe a bit conservative: I want to give myself every chance to decandle, but if I don’t see the vigour I’ll hold back for a year. You are right though, JRP make great bonsai - that is undeniable!
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

IIRC it was Pinus densiflora ‘Aurea’, and appears to have been replaced by ‘Rainbow’ with striped needles (ugly as), or yellow cultivars of Mugo/ Sylvestris.

Good choice to pick one up while you could, ‘Aurea’ is far nicer than those I can currently see available!
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Korean Bonsai Association

Post by 鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai »

Ryceman3 wrote: August 15th, 2019, 10:09 pm
鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai wrote: August 15th, 2019, 9:37 pm You tree looks great just do me a favour and pluck those needles on the branches.
I plucked some from what it was but since I plan to repot and am then looking to decandle this summer I wanted to keep as much foliage as possible this year so as not to slow it down. I know what your saying but my feeling is to err on the side of caution, feel it out for a year and then next year look to neaten the whole thing up. I don’t have another JRP like this so I’m maybe a bit conservative: I want to give myself every chance to decandle, but if I don’t see the vigour I’ll hold back for a year. You are right though, JRP make great bonsai - that is undeniable!
I know what you're saying. I have mine outside in winter down to minus 25 and they don't even flinch. Plucking them makes the tree bud harder. You don't want to remove too much but the needles on the branches won't be needed by the tree anyway. I can see this turning into a really nice tree. If you like Red Pine get some seeds and prep them in the fridge for a few weeks. Plant them in super free draining soil and watch them explode. Reds really hate wet feet so make sure that they can drain really well.
Snipz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Snipz »

Amazing pics; maybe the cat pee's on the tree making it yellow tho? :d

Top work :yes:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai wrote: August 15th, 2019, 11:01 pm If you like Red Pine get some seeds and prep them in the fridge for a few weeks. Plant them in super free draining soil and watch them explode.
Been there - done that! (and doing it again...) :P
viewtopic.php?f=131&t=25843

I'm planning a bit of repotting on the JRP from this thread today hopefully, I get to see what those roots have been up to for the last year or so ...
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

Thank you for that info as to why it's called a red pine, Gamauci. A bit like Queensland red cedar. It's not actually red, but the timber from the mature tree is a beautifull red colour.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Ryceman3 wrote: August 15th, 2019, 9:00 pm I actually thought about making the title of the thread
“The Yellow Red Pine that goes Green”
Hmm, snappy title and wobbly-trunked tree. Looking to get into Dr Seuss style children's books Ryceman3? :lol:

Return to “Pines and Junipers”