JBP - Yatsubusa advice for my pine

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
jessepap
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: JBP - Yatsubusa advice for my pine

Post by jessepap »

Hi all

so my tree is still alive and in the 'growth' phase.

its autumn - i need to refresh my memory a little BUT is now the time to bud select & remove the multiple buds down to 2 on all branches with buds?

Should i be thinning and removing old needs at the base of branches to thin out the tree and create some tree balance?
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey Jessepap - you might find this set of articles helpful. https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... hp?t=27615
Different hemisphere but very good :imo:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I've been using some of my spare time to do the autumn work on my JBPs and JRPs.
see some details in the covid shutdown thread here - https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... 31&t=28211

Basically remove all older needles where new buds are not needed.
Thin out shoots where there are more than 2 in one place. In strong growing areas like ends of branches and upper tree take off strongest shoots where possible. In weaker areas leave some stronger shoots to help make the tree grow more evenly next spring.
If there are still shoots with lots of needles pull some new needles so that all shoots have about equal numbers of needles to equalise strength through the tree.
There are some variables for developing pines that are not usually mentioned because most writers focus on older, developed trees. If your tree has some long new shoots you can shorten those instead of taking off the lower needles when balancing needle numbers. They will still bud up in spring from the needles you leave behind.
If you have some long older shoots with needles still alive consider pruning right back to try to get new buds from those needles where you need some shoots or leave the needles now an prune back there next summer when decandling.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jessepap
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jessepap »

I have started/completed my first needle pluck and bud selection. I really don’t know how I have gone or if I have done enough!
Most branches still seem to have more than 10-12 pairs of needles - is it vital to go down to the 10-12 pairs? Or better to leave more at this stage. I have tried to make most branches more even in needles.

Some of the buds were difficult to cut right at the base of the bus - does this matter?

Any comments greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

The buds you have cut off are actually next year's buds. It doesn't matter and maybe is good because this is a yatsubusa and normal jbp rules don't always apply.

You don't always have to pull off the lower needles. If there's a long section you can actually prune the whole shoot back to make it shorter - as long as there are still some needles left it will shoot again. I've marked the top section on your photo with red - very long compared to the rest of the tree and now long and bare and will probably not grow new buds now there's no needles. Do you have any plan that involves a long, bare section in your pine bonsai? i would probably have left the needles and just cut that long one short so I got some new shoots lower down.
Inkedjesse pine _LI.jpg
That doesn't matter though because I don't think that long upper shoot will ever be part of your bonsai so it doesn't actually matter what you do to it now. At some stage it will be cut off completely.

I've also circled some spots where there are many branches growing from the trunk. We call these whorls of branches. It is normal pine growth but causes real problems for us as bonsai growers. Wherever there are many branches growing close together the trunk will thicken much more than anywhere else. Those whorls will produce the dreaded reverse taper and unsightly lumps on the trunk. Even down the bottom there are 2 branches opposite each other. You really need to cut off some more entire branches so those whorls don't thicken too much.
I usually use them to add taper to my trees. Prune off the main trunk and leave 2 of the side branches. 1 will be the new trunk and the other will be a branch. As an added bonus pruning that way stops the trunk from being straight and boring.

The numbers of needles left doesn't really matter, especially in the developing stages. Reducing the number of needles reduces the food the tree can make so it grows slower which is great when the tree is completed but not so good when you are trying to get it to grow. Having even spread of needles is more important (in mature pines) as that helps make every shoot the same strength. Usually the top ones are strongest and grow faster, You can see that on your tree. Top section grew most, mid sections grew mid strength and the lowest branches grew least. With a mature tree we want every part to grow the same amount but it is not so important while the tree is still developing so don't worry now.

Leaving a short stub after cutting buds or branches is OK. You can trim them up when they have dried out next year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jessepap
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jessepap »

hmmmmmm

i have made some serious errors here. a bit embarrassing really. :palm:

the thought was the most of the tree will be chopped off at some stage, and to thin the top of needles to try and get more light and more even distribution of energy to the lower parts.

back to the drawing board and hopefully it can grow into something that can still be workable at some point in time :worship:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Of course it will still be workable.
While the tree is still young and developing is a great time to be trying out techniques and ideas. Keep having a go and learning things.
jessepap
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jessepap »

So i put this debacle of a pine tree into a bigger pot... probably the wrong thing to do im sure but in any case its done now. the theory was it might thicken up a bit as i havent touched it other than cutting one branch from the lowest whirl.... why did i do this? I cant really answer that question either.. it felt right..

otherwise its just growing and being generally pretty boring really...
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

I would also remove that root that is going right across the trunk line it is very jarring.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

The larger pot will be OK. It does not look way too big and should give you better growth.
Growing and thickening a tree can seem boring. It can even appear that nothing is really happening but it really is growing and thickening a little bit every day.
Bonsai does take time and patience. Good bonsai takes even longer so stay with it.
I agree with Kirky about that stray root. Removing a single small root like that one can be done any time.
jessepap
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jessepap »

shibui wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 5:41 pm The larger pot will be OK. It does not look way too big and should give you better growth.
Growing and thickening a tree can seem boring. It can even appear that nothing is really happening but it really is growing and thickening a little bit every day.
Bonsai does take time and patience. Good bonsai takes even longer so stay with it.
I agree with Kirky about that stray root. Removing a single small root like that one can be done any time.
Thank you both Kirky and Neil. I will look at taking off that root over the weekend.

mmmm it doesnt seem like its ever thickened much but i will take comfort in that its still alive and doing something!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

With all those elongating candles/new growth it can’t do anything else except expand in trunk thickness from here. You should measure the base (take a photo) now and then compare at the end of February (take another photo) and then compare again at the end of May (one more photo)... I’m pretty confident you won’t be struggling to see the development. After the tree settles into the repot, don’t forget to fertilise.
:beer:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

That's right. Growth of trees is like the way kids grow. Because you see them every day you just don't notice unless you mark the heights on a wall or somewhere or until one of them suddenly looks you in the eye :shock:
Trees grow slowly and quietly too. Many of have been surprised by how far the wires have 'bitten in' to the bark by the end of the season. Don't get mislead by the terms. Wires don't bite in or contract. The branches have thickened inside the wiring without you even noticing.
This one will also be doing the same silent, sneaky thickening.
Make some measurements of your tree and trunk then check back in 6 months or so. It is usually surprising how much growth there's been.
jessepap
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jessepap »

Do I have an issue on my pine? The tips seem to be a bit yellow and there are a few brown needles. Not many but a few.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

It looks fine to me. Needles will come and go. I see nothing that I would worry about in those pics. Carry on!
:beer:

Return to “Pines and Junipers”