JBP - Yatsubusa advice for my pine

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
jessepap
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: JBP - Yatsubusa advice for my pine

Post by jessepap »

Ryceman3 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:48 pm It looks fine to me. Needles will come and go. I see nothing that I would worry about in those pics. Carry on!
:beer:

Thank you mate.

I feel relief!!!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: JBP - Yatsubusa advice for my pine

Post by shibui »

The usual cause of yellow needles in my pines is nutrient deficiency when I forget to feed enough. More common in trees that have not been repotted recently. Better feeding with quick acting liquid fert usually changes the healthy needles back to green in a few weeks.

There are a couple of other things that could cause yellow needles.
Dothostroma is a fungal disease. Typical symptoms are yellow and brown bands across/around needles. It can be treated with fungicide. In some places where dothostroma is prevalent growers have to do a couple of preventative sprays each spring to stop it taking hold. Dothostroma has been introduced to Australia but I have not had any problems here so far :fc:

Root problems may cause dying tips on pines. Under or over watering may cause roots to die and resulting needle death as the compromised roots can't supply enough water or nutrients. Consider what potting mix your pine is in. In my experience under watering is more common and it has been quite dry at my place over the past month and even drier in some other areas. Could that be a possibility for your tree?

Pines typically do not show signs until well after the event so don't think recent, think back over the last weeks and months when looking for a possible cause.
The symptoms are minor at the moment but are a warning of possible problems. Investigate but don't panic. More than likely a tree can get through.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pines and Junipers”