Juniperus Procumbens style & small tree

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
jessepap
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident
Bonsai Age: 1

Juniperus Procumbens style & small tree

Post by jessepap »

Hi all

So i bought this bonsai a month ago and it was my first ever bonsai purchase. I purchased from a reputable bonsai shop in Adelaide. When i bought it i really didnt know what i was buying or looking for it was a fairly impulsive purchase. The tree came as is in the current pot.

It was a fair bit more ratty - all i have done is trimmed off some under branching which was growing toward the ground.

I dont love how the trunk leans so far backwards - i say backwards because i think the natural front of the tree is where you are looking at the tree and it is leaning back (see pic attached). Otherwise if it were the other way around you can see the underneath of the pads and i am not sure that would be considered the front of the tree?
IMG_7185.jpg
I am wondering where to from here, when i look at the tree i don't love it, i see issues and the shape doesn't strike me, it seems too bushy maybe and the top of the tree just seems to be one big clump of foliage.

Is there much to be done with this tree by ways of improvements? Any ideas of how it can look or where to take it?

Would you consider it looking healthy? I think it is growing OK.

thoughts would be appreciated - thanks to all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Juniperus Procumbens style & small tree

Post by shibui »

It looks healthy enough to me.

To me, bonsai is all about identifying the problems then fixing them. With problems fixed you should have a good bonsai. Simple.

You have already identified some of the problems so now it is time to work on solutions.
1. Tree leans too far backwards. It is good that you have identified this. To look good a bonsai should lean slightly away in the lower trunk but then have the apex slightly toward the viewer.
To fix this tree: I can see several options.
Pruning - take off a lot of the backward growing branches so there's less weight there. The apex is very full and the tree looks top heavy. I'm sure you are reluctant to prune much off - most beginners are - but that is one of the main ways we create bonsai.
Wiring - wire the main trunk and bend the apex forward. Looks like it might look better if the upper part of the tree was rotated so what is currently the back of the apex became the front. It is definitely possible to rotate young branches and trunks 180 degrees if you go gently and don't try to make the bend all in one place.
Reposition the trunk - Just because it is currently planted like that does not mean it either should be or has to stay there. Lean the pot forward to see what the trunk looks like. If that looks good then plant it at the new angle next spring when you repot.

An alternative would be to use the other side as the front of the tree. You don't like that view because you can see the underside of the branches. That could be fixed quite quickly by wiring and bending those branches into appropriate planes when viewed from that side. looking at the final picture i think the low trunk movement would not look so good from that side so go back to the original suggestions.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jessepap
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jessepap »

Thanks mate. Maybe I am slowly learning some very basics. I did think and ponder about taking the top off
Where would you cut? To a small branch that can be wired up slightly making a new tree Top?
The top is very heavy and I think it might look much better like this.
Also with some of the lower braches angled down maybe?
Can these trees be cut pretty much anytime?

Would you Prune or make smaller any of the other pads?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

It is hard for me to see enough detail to make exact recommendations.
Leaving more growth will speed up trunk thickening but that goes against most beginner need to have a 'bonsai' quick.
For a quick bonsai looking tree it does need branches and top shortened. The large branches currently emphasise the thin trunk. making the branches and apex smaller will make the trunk look a little thicker. A great deal of bonsai is proportion and visual effect. Changing one dimension changes the look of other dimensions.

We normally prune back to a side branch or shoot that can replace what was removed. Sometimes wire to redirect the new leader if required. Same when shortening branches and even sub branches.
Try to avoid a pointy top on most trees. The apex of young trees is pointy but older trees the top is made from several smaller branches to make a rounded crown. You will just have to see what you can do with this one.

Most trees, junipers included, can be safely pruned any time of year. Wiring and bending in spring can sometimes kill branches as the bark separates from the wood if they are bent roughly. Should be OK now and you will still have plenty of replacements if one section does turn brown. I've done a few in the past week or 2.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bki
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pine
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by bki »

Leaving more growth will speed up trunk thickening but that goes against most beginner need to have a 'bonsai' quick.
For a quick bonsai looking tree it does need branches and top shortened. The large branches currently emphasise the thin trunk. making the branches and apex smaller will make the trunk look a little thicker. A great deal of bonsai is proportion and visual effect. Changing one dimension changes the look of other dimensions.
that's gold jessepap. take that onboard seriously.
you got a good start with your first purchase.
more trees.....
jessepap
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jessepap »

bki wrote: February 11th, 2020, 7:39 pm
that's gold jessepap. take that onboard seriously.
you got a good start with your first purchase.
I agree with you.

Time to assess the tree and make some cuts.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”