mugho dead wood

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

mugho dead wood

Post by shibui »

last week I noticed some loose bark on my one and only mugho pine.
A little probing and I discovered that a large section of the trunk had died and was rotting under the bark :palm:

Further exploration shows that the entire side of the trunk is now dead and partly rotted. I've removed most of the soft wood and dead bark. It appears that the large branches I removed a few years ago had direct connections to the roots below and the tree was not able to make enough lateral connections to the live section so the roots below those branches and part of the trunk between has died.
IMGP6408.JPG
No point crying over something that cannot be undone so now I need to move forward with what's left.

I started with scraping any soft, rotted wood away. One good thing about naturally rotted trunk is that it actually looks natural because the wood rots at different rates leaving hollows and lumps that I have trouble replicating with normal carving.
IMGP6411.JPG
IMGP6409.JPG
3 large dead branches growing so close together was always a little overpowering but now that the trunk has been reduced in visual weight the large lump now looks quite overwhelming.

I've started to carve out the area to try to reduce the impact of that area.
IMGP6412.JPG
There is some improvement but because I have a 30 odd year history with this tree I am finding it hard to be objective and go further.

None of you have a vested interest in this tree so you are more likely to be able to give more objective opinions on where to go next.
Let me know what you think would restore visual balance to this tree.
IMGP6414.JPG
All ideas are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: mugho dead wood

Post by anthonyW »

I like what you have done with the carving from your unfortunate situation, very sad with that much history, the only thing as it looks a little heavy Neil is maybe have a look at the part under the redline to remove, the other 3 points look good to me, only a suggestion at this point what does your gut tell you very interested to know.

Anthony
php1nTyqxAM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Thanks for your opinion. I looked hard at that larger branch today and nearly removed it. that lower jin comes from slightly to the rear of the trunk but is long and heavy toward the left. It will probably go. Just could not seem to see what it would look like without hence the procrastination and asking for more opinions.
Even with that branch gone there's still a fairly heavy area of dead wood just above.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

Of course viewing from afar and not in front of me for 3d, just purely on the screen looks like reverse taper about there removing seems to take that out, so maybe a start there..correct me if different in front of you if only illusion to me, just thoughts from what i see on the flat screen.

Little more action
phpzi3fMPAM.jpg
Greg F
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine & juniper
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Greg F »

Neil life gave you a lemon and you made lemonade, well done. I agree with Anthony in removing the lower part of the deadwood.

Greg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Firstly - bummer. I don't have many mature tree and if this happened to one, I would be spewing!

I think think AW's suggestion and the blue line is the way to go. Two passing thoughts .... and the following suggestions may be anathema to more classic techniques but what the hell...

Before you totally remove the lower jin can you rip and roll it down so that the Jin rests on the ground. I have poorly illustrated with a brown line below. Why does my skull think about that option? I dunno, we've all seen plenty of trees where some form of wind or other natural trauma has caused a branch to break and end up creating a natural bridge to the ground. For me, the tree needs a 'visual' story (not the true rot story) as to how it ended as it is ...

Or

Can you complete the re-shaping and then add a suitable rock as the back to provide some form of mass ban to the base to both remove the kink created by the rot and again, build the story about how the tree now uses a crutch (rock) after whatever trauma beset the poor thing.

Anyway .. above might just be un-needed fluff and bubble (or as the songwriter Neil Finn might say ("stuff and nonsense") that I often add to my bonsai but thoughts for consideration because you asked.
phpzi3fMPAM.jpeg
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Shibui, firstly I thought I should tell you - there are a couple of freeloaders in your pot - just in case you hadn't noticed.
Now seriously, the blue line version that Anthony suggested is also my preference. That shari in my opinion needs to be more in keeping with the line of the trunk, ie much smaller. I would also consider moving the shari up to incorporate the jin above. This will give a tree with an improved taper and give a reason for that high jin to be there. Yep the tree will look thinner but when you arrange the foliage, more dramatic.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Post by Phil Rabl »

I have never spoken about this publicly, but when it comes to bonsai design I always fall back to two concepts: drama and elegance. I love my trees to be elegant but not so pretty they lack dramatic appeal. Sometimes I like a tree to be overwhelmingly dramatic, but it needs to have some elegance for that to work. There is a bit the idea of yin and yang behind my thinking.

In the case of your damaged tree, Neil, the drama has been well and truly created by nature. Personally, I would look to trimming the remaining deadwood to bring the drama to heel a bit by adding as much elegance to as possible. Some how, I reckon that when you get the drama/elegance equation right they complement each other. The elegance looks more elegant and the drama looks more dramatic. ( :imo: )
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Great ideas so far people. I appreciate the time and effort you've put into the virts and concepts as well as the explanations of why.
Looks like we are pretty much all in agreement about the lower jin. I will look into that first and it is very likely to be the first to go.

The next level is a bit harder. It does not show up in the photo but the small left jin has a wonderful twist and hollows (IMHO) and it is going to be very hard to remove that one :crybye: Whether it actually adds to the overall bonsai is something I'll need to consider closely before removing it. Should never keep one great component when it doesn't complement the overall display, no matter how dramatic or wonderful that component is. More pondering on that one :lost:
Shibui, firstly I thought I should tell you - there are a couple of freeloaders in your pot - just in case you hadn't noticed.
Not sure what you are talking about Watto :lost: If you could mark any of these alleged freeloaders on the photo maybe I can find them and start talking about rental or paying their way.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Thanks for the puzzle Neil.

My first thought was to remove the lowest branch, but in fact it has a very pleasant angle to it. The Great Lump above it could be carve away a lot, maybe the top jin to go completely, and hollow it away into the trunk to lighten the mass.

Have you experimented with covering each component with cloth to see what getting rid of it would do to the design? I think the core problem is the thickness of the upper mass.

Gavin
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Your opinions are welcome too Gavin but you have arrived at the party just a fraction too late - the deed is already done :D
I have tried covering each element to try for a better visual of the changes but as mentioned earlier, because I have lived with this tree for so long I just keep seeing what was there, not what could be :roll:

Firstly, for MJL:
IMGP6421.JPG
I'm not sure that broken branch will have much of a lifespan hanging by a couple of half rotted fibres :(

Here's the branch that I am so keen to keep if possible
IMGP6426.JPG
It has some really great character so I've tried to lighten the rest of the lump to allow it to stay a little longer. Maybe I'm just trying to justify not removing it?
IMGP6423.JPG
A bit better but I'm still not completely happy. Maybe some more contemplation will bring inspiration :idea:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Ha! Love your work ... it shows the poxness of my idea. I really value your tireless contributions to this forum - whether it be your triumphs and treasures or the tougher scenarios like this / you share thoughts and ideas and take us all forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

MJL wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 6:03 pm Ha! Love your work. I really value your tireless contributions to this forum - whether it be your triumphs and treasures or the tougher scenarios like this / you share thoughts and ideas and take us all forward.

^^^^ What he said
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

shibui wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 5:18 pm A bit better but I'm still not completely happy. Maybe some more contemplation will bring inspiration :idea:
Just a thought ... I like the idea of extending the shari up into the existing jin (I think that was already mentioned), but maybe you could go one step further and continue the dead wood, and maybe build the apex out to the right? Something like the vert below ...
:beer:
IMGP6423-R3.jpg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Gee I like that thinking R3 ... immediately has better balance and a story of trauma on that left side and top.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”